Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2008, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

University of Georgia has an awesome four year program and plenty of hot girls!
Old 02-25-2008, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

HAHAHAHA, the best HORT program in the US is Texas A&M University. hands down, best program in the world!

Perhaps you are all mistaken

Cornell university ring a bell...The best Coop extensions too...It is the only school of agriculture in the Ivy League.. easily ranks in the top 1%

close to home too.... check it out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell..._Life_Sciences

no i didn't go to cornell... but i do love the coop extension

Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them
- A. A. Milne, Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh

If you scatter thorns, don't go barefoot.
- Italian proverb
Old 02-25-2008, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Landscaping is definitely a career worth pursuing, but it's a bit of
a profession that requires vocational experience more than anything else.
I'm 21 years old and have spent three years at universities in the South Florida area, (FAU, FGCU, USF). Thus far I've studied biology, half of the time was plants the other half animals. My father has been a landscaper all of my life, he's in the Fort Myers area. His business has been around for about 15 years and makes seven figures per year.

A partner and I are currently developing a website for his company as we're expanding it north into the Tampa area. Tampa is home to USF, they're pretty well rounded when it comes to degree programs... but your best choice (for the highly opportunistic Florida area) would be Florida's #1 Environmental school (www.fgcu.edu). They would most likely be the most flexible with financial assistance as they're a relatively new and rapidly expanding school. Their Biology staff is exceptional, comprised of experts that currently conduct research in Africa, the Bahamas, and South America. These Programs are available (with financial assistance) to their students, providing the student is proficient in environmental studies...

Florida is a prime choice for a prospective Landscaping/Horticultural/Biology Major. Although there is no such thing as a Landscaping Major, the environmental study programs are wonderful because of the opportunity to explore a vast spectrum of species of plants that live here. The tropics provide an idea of how plants adapt to areas of high Salinity, and sometimes very hot conditions. The species there range from palms, to mangroves, sea grapes, grasses, etc... As you travel inland and north the natural landscape changes gradually from these tropical species, to conifer (pine trees, bald cypress, and the invasive Australian pine) to inland dwelling species such as the Laurel Oak, Live oak and maple (among several others).

The advantage for someone pursuing landscaping here is the palette of plants he would be able to incorporate into the business that he will soon realize (hopefully) is more of an art than a trade. I consider my Father to be an extremely skilled and great artist, I worked for his company starting around the age of 10, my older brother and I had to due to an unfortunate failure of a previous business. I got about 5 years of experience in that period of time until I was about 15 and the company was able to afford a full-time crew. I have been an apprentice to him all of my life, and between my experience with his company and school I've learned plants and the art of landscaping very thoroughly.

E-mail me at thormfl@gmail.com if you would like any more information, or pictures of my father's work that will be put onto the website that is under construction. I'd have to learn a thing or two about you, but you might even be able to work for MFL if you choose to move here!

Best luck!

~ Thor
Old 02-26-2008, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Member

for horticulture i would say that Stockbridge School of Agriculture is a great 2 year college, where you can go on the the University of Massachusetts 4 year program in natural resources. Umass also is one of the top landscape arc schools in the country, ranked up there with Harvard. Another school to look at is Penn state they have a descent agriculture program as well as Cornell i believe