Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-08-2008, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Question??

We had an old customer design our website. Now he will not make any changes claming he is to busy.All of the files are on his computer. We can't see what if any amount of traffic we are reciving or make changes. Yes we own the domain name.What we would like to do now is copy our content on word and start over.We like the templet from gopher and would just like to know do we need hosting or build it ourselves. Godaddy said we could not bring in our own templet and we don't like any of theirs so what do you suggest.We are clueless. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2008, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Where is the website currently hosted? I see the domain servers are:
NS11.P4HOST.COM
NS12.P4HOST.COM
If you plan to rebuild the site with another template than it doesn't matter what files are on your customer's computer. As far as Godaddy not allowing you to use templates, I think there is a little miscommunication going on since you ask, "do we need hosting or build it ourselves?"

Hosting is simply a server for you to place your website files. It has nothing to do with designing a site for you. Hosting is irrespective of who designs a site.

Now, programs such as Website Tonight and the like are templated webdesign suites that translate your graphic site designs into coded files that still require hosting. Therefore, you cannot use other templates and Website Tonight as the program doesn't allow for it.

It would take a little clarification before you can get any answers.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have no idea.The guy that made the site is hosting it also. What I want to do is basicly get him to pull the site down and we will get the hosting ourselves. But he has all the files.I guess we just need to start over.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

If you're going to rebuild it anyway, just ask your customer to take it down while you find another host. You don't have to wait for him to remove the site, but you will have to tell your new host what you are doing and have them transfer the domain.

Once you decide who is going to host your site (Godaddy or 1 and 1 or anybody else) you can either use their template programs (Website Tonight or Website Builder) or use your own programs such as MS Frontpage or Dreamweaver to design your site.

After you design your site, you will have to upload those files to your host server, and go from there. I hope I am answering your original question(s).
Old 02-10-2008, 03:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeh. If you are just going to do a total overhaul, sign up for a new host and just have the domain transferred. If you want the files for whatever reason and can get the access info for admin login, just download something like Filezilla and connect to your site via FTP and download everything on your own computer.

Check out Joomla as a builder also. I just finished mine (my third website revision) and I loved using it as an alternative to doing it by hand!
Old 02-24-2008, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

alright.The guy that did our site said he would put it on a disk and send it to us. What is a good host to start with.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey we used yahoo site builder and built it in a day. We had no expereance very easy to use. So I would like your feed back when we get it up.
Thanks for all your help
Old 02-26-2008, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i used Sitebuilder for my site too. very user-friendly! and simple to use and update and everything else.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I use godaddy. I design/upload/modify ..send me a pm ...for a fee I can do anything.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We got it up yesterday but thanks anyway. Let us know what you think.