Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-28-2002, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

"Financing" Who do you use?

We are a 2nd year company and we are trying to expand this year. At this point we are like alot of comapnies that start out with a walk behind and a weedeater. We are wanting to expand our equipment this year because we have picked up some big jobs. We want to get a new midmount or front deck and don't have the money up front. Who can we get financing from? We are wanting to pay the mower off this year so we want be in debt for 3-4 years.
Old 01-28-2002, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Since your a new company you will probably have to back the loan with your own credit history.
If you have good credit you should not have any problems. We had to do that our second year...

Good luck
Quote:
you've got two lives, one you're given the other one you make
Old 01-28-2002, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know what equipment you would like to purchase but eXmark uses Sheffield Finance and that is who financed my equipment. They have a few different programs going on. Check out eXmark's website and they have a section that you can see what they have to offer. Some new leasing programs going on also with them. Click the sponsor banner above to go to their site. Like Green said, it will probably be based off your personal line.
Old 01-28-2002, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Member

You should not have a problem getting financing, if your credit is good on you and your lawn mowing business,

If you can show the business is making enough money to support you and buying new equipment there should be no problem. Show them the new contracts you have.

financing should be close to prime interest which is about 5.5% to about 2% above prime.

Jerry
Old 01-28-2002, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check first with your dealer. Most companies have financing programs.

A lot of the programs are very competitive, depending on the time of year.

Last July I was able to finance a Toro Z @ 1.9% for one year and 9.9% after that (intend to pay it off in the year).
Old 01-28-2002, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Iv'e used Sheffield to finance a few different things i think they specilcialize in turf equiptment. Ther # is 1-888-438-8837
Old 01-28-2002, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you have good credit, your local bank will be a much cheaper source of financing than a finance company that is tied in with the equipment manufacturers. You should establish a good relationship with one of your local banks. Try and get a line-of-credit set up with the bank. Then, when you need a business loan, they will already be familiar with you and your business finances and a loan can arrainged with little paperwork,and lower interest.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Telmark!!!!!!! www.telmark.com this company is one of the largest green industry lenders!
Old 01-29-2002, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you have good credit, credit cards work. You can get great introductary rates. I have seen one for 5.9%, until the loan is paid off. I have seen 0% for 6-9 months. I just received one for 1.9% until August 2002 with a $10,000 credit limit. One thing to keep in mind, get them paid off before the intro rate expires. Also, don't be late with a payment or the intro rate will expire and go to something like 12.99% or more. Search the net.....much info there.

MATT
Old 01-29-2002, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely rate shop...I got financing for an aerator I purchased last year. No payments nor interest til April 2002. However if you don't pay in full by 4/02 interest is charged from purchase date at 18%. No big deal. Just transferred to credit card with 0% financing til 2/03. Will be paid for way before that, but no interest even if it doesn't.

Kinda like flippin' credit cards...you can eventually get it paid off interest free if you work at it. Just make sure to cancel those old cardss so as not to clutter your credit history too much.

Disclaimer: Don't do this if you plan on buying a house in the next year or 2.