Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2002, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Like 65hoss has said and I agree 100 percent, you need yearly contracts to make it. It's steady income all year long. Works for me. Warm weather all year long doesn't hurt either.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
LAWNS AND MOWER

Thanks for the compliment, but I can't take the credit.
It's an old lawn of indigenous kentucky bluegrass. Other than core aerating it last fall it hasn't had anything done to it.
It was fertilized the year before, and I had to plead with them to stop fertilizing.
I was mowing it every three days!

We just get a lot of rain here. It's been the wettest place in the state for the last ten years.
I think that's why they located the National Weather Service here.
The storms seem to center over Wilmington.
You can see the NWS radar from the building in the picture.

MATTHEW;

Are you far enough north for lake effect snows? I hear the LCOs in Buffalo NY do lawn care as a secondary source of income. LOL

I've tried to contact the NWS about mowing their lawn. But they have a "no scolicitors" sign in the lobby, and no receptionist. I just walked out. I even mowed the lawn for one of the anouncers back when they still used humans instead of the synthisized voice. I asked him to find out for me how to bid the lawn, but nothing ever came of it.

I don't know if I'd want their snow contract. They're probably pretty sensitive about getting to work, snow or not! I wouldn't want to be the one to let them down. I listen to their reports every day in the summer.

There's only been one plowable snow here this year, and it was pretty small. I don't think I could even make payments on a blade, let alone a truck! Good luck to you though.

I've done some sheet metal work too. I even went to school for HVAC. Still have some of the hand tools in the shop, although I don't do much of it anymore. Sorry, this post has gotten too long...later

Dave
Old 01-16-2002, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Learn to play nine ball reeeeaaaaal good
Old 01-17-2002, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replies

I'm going to keep on looking for opportunities to make some cash in the winters. Plowing seems like the only thing that might work for me but I'm in college during the winter (three days a week I'm out of the house by 6:45 Am and gone all day. So I'll think I'll keep my eye out for an opportunity.

Bishop:alien:
Old 01-18-2002, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We plant more shrubs and trees around here in a month during the winter than we do all season long.Loads of summer rentals here and winter is when they spruce thing up for next season.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a catering business that I mainly run during the winter months. It pays real well. But if you cant cook, well I cant help you.
A little hint, try to get you accounts you do odd and ends late iun the fall ask them to pay you in cash. Hint Hint.
Old 01-27-2002, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Member

How about the vending business?

Is it saturated, anyone have any experiences with it?

Bishop:alien:
Old 01-27-2002, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

wHAT TO DO IN WINTER MONTHS

we offer snow removal but sometimes its not really needed. Try de-icing. We also offer holliday window painting and light and decoration put up and take down. With the big businesses we also offer storage of these items at a cost. You just got to do what works for you. We like to keep busy all year but some don't. There is more money out there sometimes in the winter months than the other 9 months. If you can get hold of some large accounts for lights and such it can be VERY profitable.

Good luck,
David
Old 01-29-2002, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Snow Removal and Tree Work:

We have several commercial, corporate, condo, and residential snow removal accounts. That keeps us busy when it does snow and generates a ton of income. Also, we have a tree crew that works steady throughout the winter months. We also do a lot of machine work (bobcats, excavators) etc.