Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-04-2000, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This question is for the other guys out there who are licensed pesticide applicators. <p>Last summer up here in Ontario wasn't too bad as far as grub damage goes. Certainly not when compared to the year before. We used Diazanon 5g coated on crushed walnut shells for the first time and it seemed to be quite effective. The previous year we went with Chlorpyrifos with mixed results. Now obviously the brutal drought we had in '98 had a lot to do with the results when compared to this past summer. <p>Anyhow I'm curious as to what you guys used for grubs (and chinch) and how effective it was. As I said, Diazanon was effective for us but it pricey and we had some well-timed rain this past summer. <p>Looking forward to your responses.<p><p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>
Old 01-04-2000, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dave -<p>We have used Merit successfully as a systemic season long grub control for a few seasons now. We usually use a fertilizer/merit combo - Scotts ProTurf or Andersons, at the recommended rate, and definitely water it in. We've had no problems. For new accounts or accounts where we opted not to use Merit (this year we had drought conditions in Connecticut), we treated with Dylox 6.2G. Dylox is effective, needs to be watered in, and has a shorter residual than the Diazinon. It moves readily through thatch, and is fairly fast acting. Neither product is cheap, but both are effective. Hope this helps.<p>PHIL<p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider
Old 01-06-2000, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I am not sure about prices but i can definitely tell you about the products. There are two different approaches to grub control. Curative--after eggs have hatched and Preventive--before any known infestation. These approaches have there pluses and minuses but I am sure you can figure those out. Curative approach involves Diazinon, Dylox, and Turcam. Preventive involves Mach2 and Merit. Those are generally the best out there. Preventive is the big new thing. Potentially costly but doesn't harm environment and don't have to worry about grub damage.
Old 01-06-2000, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dave - The Chlorpyrifos (Dursban) that you applied is not the ideal grub product in most cases. It is good when lightly watered for surface feeders like sod webworms or chinch bugs, or ants, etc. It takes a lot of water and no thatch for Dursban to move through the soil where the grubs are. I would advise against using it, unless you find grubs during a renovation and have the soil somewhat exposed.<p><p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider
Old 01-07-2000, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dave,<br>The best curative treatment is Dylox, or Proxol, (A.I.= trichlorfon), because of its ability to penetrate soil down to grubs. In areas known to be grub problems use Merit or Mach 2 as a preventative application. <br>If we have a grub problem appear, we control it with Dylox, but the property is flagged for preventative treatment for the next two years with Merit. It is helpful to watch other properties around your sites: this can warn you to monitor/treat your properties more aggressively.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>South Bend, IN
Old 01-08-2000, 05:42 AM
LawnSite Member

I was told of a natural way to kill grubs and it required spreading some sort of sand over the grass that cut up the worms as they surface (do they surface?) anyone ever hear of this?<p>greg
Old 01-08-2000, 05:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, grubs are the larvae of some specie of Beetle (European Chaefer, for example) They surface and become adult beetles. (The beetles do no turf damage, of course)<p>Sand? I'm not sure how that is supposed to &quot;cut them up&quot;. I appreciate the input, but it sounds like an idea of a hyper-environmentalist that might work in theory, but never does in real life.<br>
Old 01-09-2000, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone use/used Milkyspore
Old 01-10-2000, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I believe what is referred to is diatomaceous earth, the fossilized remains of prehistoric ocean creatures which act like razor blades against insects which contact it. Expensive for anything other than a small garden plot.<p>I dislike diazinon due to the fact that it kills all insects in the soil, good and bad alike.<p>Merit is the preferred choice by far where I am in central CT. I have had no need for it but others have had great success.<p>None of my customers have ever had a grub problem severe enough to warrant insecticide application. With my own lawn, I feed the birds thru the winter and discontinue around mid-March, the birds take care of the grubs for me. Most of my customers, or their neighbors, follow the same approach. Once you start dumping diazinon on a lawn, it discourages birds and such from feeding since theres nothing left for them to eat, and when the insect population eventually recovers it seems its the beetle grubs and such which come back in exponential quantities. Puts you in a vicious cycle.<p>Bill