Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2002, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Solvent Cement

I hit the local green conference this week and was talking to one of the vendors. He had a bunch of IPS Plumb'r Turf 737 on display. I like the formulation of 737 as it is rated for interference fits without a primer. I use 711 and primer on the main and like 737 on the laterals. Problem is I can't find it here. He made an interesting comment. He was now working for a vendor, but claimed to work for IPS for a while. He said that the formulations were not that much different between 711 and 737. He said that if he were in the business he'd only carry 711 and primer on the truck and use 711 with primer on the mainline, and use 711 WITHOUT primer on the laterals. The ingredients on the 737 and 711 can were the same and he said running 711 without the primer was no problem on laterals, that it would be the same as using the 737.

This is a great idea, except I can see me digging up all the laterals in two years because of joint failure for using 711 without primer. If I don't follow the manufactures instructions I hang out there with no recourse on them.

What do you guys think on this?
Old 01-26-2002, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We use IPS 705 med body solvent and their primer during nice weather and 727 Hot n Cold in those chilly early and late season jobs. I won't do anything with out primer. It just doesn't save money or make the job better not using it.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

just curious

have you ever had to dig up a joint that you didnt or the installer didnt use primer on. just curious. not trying to be smart. also do you wipe the excess glue off of your joints. and have you ever seen it eat through a pipe. your 31 yrs in the biz i thought you might have seen this.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't seen it all, but I've seen a bunch. I started saving some of this stuff for my "Sprinkler Hall of Shame". You should see the wiring and valve manifolds and backflow mounts and pipe/head repairs.

Yes I've seen bad joints fail. Lots of bad joints. NO Primer??? or glue on one piece only I don't know. It would be forensic irrigation to give a reason. I've seen dry fit joints with glue last for years.

Yes we wipe the excess glue off our joints. We buy C-fold paper towels and keep them in the trucks for cleaning pipe.

Another reason joints fail is that the pipe joint is stressed at a funny angle when assembled. Proper alignment is a must.

Poorly fitted pipe joints are another problem. Ends must be cut square, deburred and go full depth in the socket. We've seen a lot of problems like these.

We find it's real handy when working with larger pipe up to 3-4 inch stuff to carry a waterproof black marker "Sharpie" in you pocket. You can lay one pipe on another at proper angle or a group of fittings for mainifolds etc and mark cuts and label pieces, number assy order etc.