Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2008, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Whitey and New,

No reason to be skeptical of Lesco seed. I used 12,000 lb last year and seeded over 30 acres of lawns. Out of the 12,000 lb I only used about 400lb of a KYB/PR mix (which was for an athletic field).

You can overseed a KYB lawn with TTTF. With the fine blade on the TTTF it mixes really well.

If a lawn is really thin and has any KY31 Fescue, I will usually gly it and start over. But I only do about 1 out of 10 this way.

With all the lawns I seeded in 2007 I am trying to turn all my customers lawns into TTTF and KYB lawns so they will handle our summer stress better.

IMO New, it is the only way to go! When you get info on here....make sure it is not someone from New Mexico or somewhere way far away. They are not from here so what works in their area may not work the best here.

As far as topdressing....I am not sure why you would do it! If you are needing to bring in topsoil or increase OM....haul it in and then seed. I wouldn't topdress on what you have seeded and you may get it too deep which will reduce germination.

Also New...I recommend using a slice seeder and going two directions. As Whitey said, if you aerate first that would be great but then you are renting two pieces of equipement. Aerating first isn't a must but would be good.

Also I wouldn't use any straw (or hay as you call it). If you use straw it will cause more or a mess then it is worth. I NEVER straw and that is a great advantage of slice seeding. It can actually choke our your new grass.

PM me if you need any additional info. Seeding is a large part of my business!
Old 03-02-2008, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Rodney, I'm still learning from you! I've been told that a light top dressing is in general a good practice after over seeding. You seem to have a different opinion. Would a 1/4" really prevent germination, especially if it wasn't rolled, but just watered in? Seems to me that it would tend to improve soil contact with the new seed, but not enough to smother it.

Straw.... bad idea. I am going to use this stuff called Futerra rolls for bare dirt seedings this year. Ever heard of it Rodney? It's a rolled blanket of fully compostable material (no wood or newspaper pulp) that gets stapled on top of bare dirt seedings. Kind of like hydro seeding... it makes for a moisture barrier, a weed seed barrier, and protection from feeding birds. The material just disappears, and the grass grows right through it. Only the staples have to be removed.

It sounds perfect for these postage stamp properties I do. Much too costly for anything over 1/4 acre. Best for 2k turf plots. Ever heard of it?

OK... the Lesco seed. I've heard it's mix can vary from one year to the next a lot. Economically and availability driven mixes. I am more comfortable buying from a small house for seed, where the owner is an expert, and makes his own mixes as opposed to a corporation that may change the mix and purity based on economically driven objectives. I guess I'm saying I trust my local guy more than I do a national wholesaler. I don't question Lesco quality in any other area, but seed.... that is a different can of beans to me.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
Rodney, I'm still learning from you! I've been told that a light top dressing is in general a good practice after over seeding. You seem to have a different opinion. Would a 1/4" really prevent germination, especially if it wasn't rolled, but just watered in? Seems to me that it would tend to improve soil contact with the new seed, but not enough to smother it.

Straw.... bad idea. I am going to use this stuff called Futerra rolls for bare dirt seedings this year. Ever heard of it Rodney? It's a rolled blanket of fully compostable material (no wood or newspaper pulp) that gets stapled on top of bare dirt seedings. Kind of like hydro seeding... it makes for a moisture barrier, a weed seed barrier, and protection from feeding birds. The material just disappears, and the grass grows right through it. Only the staples have to be removed.

It sounds perfect for these postage stamp properties I do. Much too costly for anything over 1/4 acre. Best for 2k turf plots. Ever heard of it?

OK... the Lesco seed. I've heard it's mix can vary from one year to the next a lot. Economically and availability driven mixes. I am more comfortable buying from a small house for seed, where the owner is an expert, and makes his own mixes as opposed to a corporation that may change the mix and purity based on economically driven objectives. I guess I'm saying I trust my local guy more than I do a national wholesaler. I don't question Lesco quality in any other area, but seed.... that is a different can of beans to me.
Whitey,

I guess you can topdress....but sounds like another costly step when seeding a lawn to me. Also...are you going to guarantee me that you will get a 1/4" across my whole lawn and that some areas won't have a 1/2".

With slicing you are already getting good seed to soil contact. I guess I am just not familiar with topdressing after seeding around here anyway.

I have not heard of the material you are talking about, but it sounds like a good product. What is the cost/K on it?

Guys around here have been using the rolled netting with straw. I don't like it personally and it is big $$$$/k.

I just have too good of success with not using any cover. That is one of the advantages of slicing it in. With incorporating the seed slightly and getting good seed to soil, just water daily and you will have an awesome lawn.

I am not sure about your comments about Lesco seed. But they are a big player so I am sure they are not settling for floor sweepings. It does an awesome job for me anyway.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can get the Futerra rolls at 45 bucks a roll, and that's 600 sq feet. That would never fly with your property sizes, but here, if I do a front yard, we're talkin two rolls. That is for a total renovation, not a slit seeding job... a total rip up, bare dirt seeding. My seed guy edumicated me when I was eyeballing the rolled straw stuff. This guy has been very helpful to me. He rents hydro seeders of all sizes, and like I said earlier, has a rep as the best seed man in the state. I trust him.

Again, I think top dressing is another property size issue. I am going to use a wheelbarrow and top dress by hand. Yer not going to do that with the property sizes you have. I think topdressing a slit seed job might not be necassary, but I like to get more organic stuff down when I can. I figure when slit seeding, is as good a time as any. Again, I won't use more than a bag of peat/compost on a 2k front lawn.

Hey, is there a way to spray freakin peat/compost? LOL....
Old 03-03-2008, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Funny you say that, because I heard a great way to seed in the summer is to actually slice seed and they use a hydro seeder for cover.

I looked into hydroseeding at one time, and it really isn't that great from my understanding.

But what I heard, is do the seeding and just blow on the fiber.

I am never going to do it because of the added expense, but I am sure it would work great.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
Funny you say that, because I heard a great way to seed in the summer is to actually slice seed and they use a hydro seeder for cover.

I looked into hydroseeding at one time, and it really isn't that great from my understanding.

But what I heard, is do the seeding and just blow on the fiber.

I am never going to do it because of the added expense, but I am sure it would work great.
I don't know it there is a mix you could use to hydro seed (use a hyrdo seeder with no seed) over a slit seeding either... I don't think it would work very well. They are best used in total renovations I believe, especially on hills and right if ways where erosion is an issue. The real estate developers like it, because it doesn't need as much watering in. A good coating makes a moisture barrier that helps a lot in unirrgated locations.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
I don't know it there is a mix you could use to hydro seed (use a hyrdo seeder with no seed) over a slit seeding either... I don't think it would work very well. They are best used in total renovations I believe, especially on hills and right if ways where erosion is an issue. The real estate developers like it, because it doesn't need as much watering in. A good coating makes a moisture barrier that helps a lot in unirrgated locations.
I'm sorry....I was talking for new seedings!

I use my slice seeder on both new and existing lawns. I have a 4 ft Landpride that works awesome! It has rotating blades on the front which is great for prepping and then is has packer wheels on the back.

I am pretty sure you can buy the mulch without seed. I just don't want to have to rent the equipment and do it! $$$$$$

There is no way you would use it on an existing lawn!