Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-01-2002, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Billing Dispute

One of my customers is refusing to pay for the final cut of 2001.
She thinks that she cancelled on 10/19, but she really cancelled on 11/7. We use Clip so we have good records of jobs done and entered. I have sent her a copy of the final 2 route sheets with her schedule dates. We have our in and out times recorded for the 19th and yet she believes that we are wrong. She has nothing to support her claim. We have detailed route sheets and the foremans hand written notes to support our side of it.

We are confident that we are correct.

The invoice is only $55 so should I pursue this further and risk that she will not be a customer next season or just let her think that she is correct?
Old 02-01-2002, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Re: Billing Dispute

Quote:
Originally posted by morning dew

The invoice is only $55 so should I pursue this further and risk that she will not be a customer next season or just let her think that she is correct?
Obviously, this client is not one who cares a whole lot about her property, and/or your professionalism. Take it as a $55.00 lesson (loss), write it off, and don't renew her this season. Find another client who pays the same or better and is more appreciative of your efforts. I believe that many of us wind up in the same boat. As long as I get burnt for less than $750.00 total for a year, I really don't care, as the total is usually very small amounts from only a few clients.
Unfortunately, its not even worth a small claims court charge either.

Bob
Old 02-01-2002, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: The Hottest driest city next to Hades - Denver Colorado
It's always at the end of the season

How much harder do want to work for your $55, you've already earned it once.
So figure out where things went wrong.
1. What does your written agreement say as to the length of the season? Did the October statement say when final mow was?
2. Do you leave a a job ticket/invoice each time showing work done and next scheduled work and date?
These problems are the types of things that can be avoided with written communications. I'm not picking on you, we all need to remember to keep the customer aware of what we are doing and what to expect.
As for the risk that she will not be a customer next year, let this year be an indicator, do you want to work for somebody who might suspect you of cheating?
If I felt strongly about my postition, I would close the account and send it to collection. ie trash can

All that said, consider it might only be a misunderstanding on her part, and let it slide if this was the only problem all year. It probably costs you more than $55 to get another customer.
Old 02-01-2002, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe compromise and have her pay 1/2 ??? Or what i would do is probalby let it slide all in all. If she is a good client, and $55.00 a week sounds pretty good, maybe just let it slide and for next year make sure you have a strict agreement with her so there are no more problems.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

An old redneck buddy of mine always said people TAKE their money serisly. I try to keep that in mind when billing just so they dont take none of mine.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, always at the end of the year. I have a lady who has refused payment on the last $25 cutting last year. It drives me crazy. Its just the principal of the thing. I could care less about the $25. It just bothers me getting stiffed.

Try to reach an amicable solution. If you cant, try to forget it. Its not worth spending too much time on. If you do continue working for her, I would refuse service untill payment has been received in full though. Why would you want her after she stiffed you?
Old 02-02-2002, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Just look at it as a Complimentry cut for her being a good client!

Tell yourself that until it feels better. Just trying to help!

LG