LawnSite Member

CLT's & CLP's

Is anyone a CLT of CLP?

Is is a tough test?

Jesse
Michigan
Old 02-02-2002, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a CLP, and I also sit on the ALCA Certification Board of Governors.

The CLP test is a written test, and it is long and intense. If you have been in business for a good number of years, and run your business LIKE a business and not by the seat of your pants - you might pass it without studying.

It covers horticulture, business law, business ethics, accounting, and the like. It takes anywhere from 5 to 8 hours to complete the test. The test is given 4 times a year and the test locations are scattered about the USA. A Canadian version is being developed now.

The CLT test is written and hands on, and covers such things as various types of equipment operation, vehicle /trailer operation, planting techniques, paver installation, and other areas of landscape maintenance and installation. I have monitored CLT tests and it usually takes up the better part of a full day to complete.
Old 02-03-2002, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

JAA - is it difficult to keep the CLP status? I know the requirements are listed in the ALCA literature. Practically, how much time/expense is required to keep the certification?
Old 02-03-2002, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not difficult. I obtained all necessary CLP recertification credits within 12 months. You do have to pay attention to going to seminars and such so that you can use them as the credits you need. Most of the challenge for recertification seems to be keeping track of the credits you obtain (but often don't even realize that you have secured them).
Old 02-04-2002, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What does a CLP certification entitle you too?
Old 02-04-2002, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It allows you the personal satisfaction that goes with achieving a goal, sets you apart from your peers inasmuch as you have proven your ability to know certain business and horticultural acumen, lets you show your customers that you believe enough in yourself to achieve such a designation.

ALCA is pushing hard to have certain publically funded projects specify that someone from the quoting company has a CLT or CLP designation, thus proving an element of professionalism that comes with pursuing such a goal.

Much like any professional designation, it is only as good as you think it is......