Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2008, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Slope??

I have a slope behind home, red clay, apprx 45 degree, elevation drops bout 7 feet, back of home is apprx 20' from the foot of slope which is bout 90' wide. We want to slow the water down (at least if it does rain this year). My question...would you use a mulch or pinestraw? I have used both and been successful with both, but never on an area this large. This will be an ongoing project and will likely come back at later time and install plants, rock, etc. The primary goal is to slow the water coming down, cover the red clay. Once this is done I'll be sodding (bermuda) what will become the backyard at the base of slope. Any input? Sorry no pics.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Member

It is unlikely you have a 45 degree slope. If you do, there is not one chance in hell anything you said would succeed.

If your slope is not 45 degrees then I don't know what it might be and any further comment would be pointless.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What is the horizontal distance (the run) from the bottom of the slope to the back? If it were a 45 degree slope with an elevation change of 7 feet (the rise) that would make the run 14 feet. If that is the case you need a retaining wall not sod.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Could you tier it?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pls8xx View Post
It is unlikely you have a 45 degree slope. If you do, there is not one chance in hell anything you said would succeed.

If your slope is not 45 degrees then I don't know what it might be and any further comment would be pointless.

If you then feel I don't have a 45, then why did you even bother You may be correct though, some areas may actually be 50-55 degrees

Last edited by ken0564; 03-20-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUturf View Post
What is the horizontal distance (the run) from the bottom of the slope to the back? If it were a 45 degree slope with an elevation change of 7 feet (the rise) that would make the run 14 feet. If that is the case you need a retaining wall not sod.
You are right on PS, bout 14'. I've dealt with them before just not this much area (total of bout 1300-1400sf). We're thinking wall as well but trying to hold cost to minimum as this is a rental. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNyz View Post
Could you tier it?

Option as well but trying to hold cost to minimum due to rental.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Plant a good cheap ground cover, because only idiots play on 'steep' slopes and grass invites play and of course hurt themselves along with property.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Ken, it seems I may have offended you. Sorry, that was not my intent.

You ask why I even bothered to reply. To my mind, those who have participated for some time on a forum like you, are a bit more deserving of help than someone straight off the street.

Now let's clear up some mis-information. The slant of a slope is commonly expressed in one of three ways; the angular deviation from horizontal expressed in degrees, the vertical divided by the horizontal expressed as a percent, or the ratio of the horizontal to the vertical in units of the horizontal that match a vertical rise of one unit, such as 3:1

A 45 degree slope is equivalent to a 100% percent slope, or a 1:1 slope. It's easy to see this relationship on a simple 45 triangle or a carpenters' square. For such a slope where the vertical is 7 ft. the horizontal will also be 7 ft, not 14ft.

On the other hand, a 45% slope is equal to approx. a 24 degree slope(arc tan 0.45), or a 2.2:1 slope. For a 7 ft vertical, this slope would have a horizontal distance of 15.4 ft.

Consider now the responses you might get. Some may be general and apply to all slopes as I did above about the quantitative notation of slopes. I doubt this will be of much aid to your situation. Or we can take you at your word as to the properties of your slope and give specific recommendations. But if in reality you have a different slope from that stated, the advice you get could be very bad. Or would you prefer that we take all that you have to say and then guess at what the true situation is, and use this as a basis for response?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass here. The point is ... garbage in, garbage out.

Good luck to you.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Member

You need a retaining wall for best results...but I haven't seen the job site.
Don't let these guys scare ya into thinking it's a difficult thing. Most of this stuff is easy with a little research. Just communicate well with your client and give them what was agreed upon.
The problem with this site is that everyone here has a know-it-all attitude and usually tell you about their years of experience bla bla bla, horticulture degree etc...
And they're usually the ones to throw you in the dirt when you ask a "stupid" question that is so beneath them.
There is alot of useful info on here, but you have to dig through the arrogance.