Register free!

Old 03-22-2008, 04:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A diuron and Oust mix is as cheap as you can get and still keep almost everything down. I add MSMA + 2,4-D or Garlon for emerged weeds. You ask why not Glyphosate? Because the previous company with unlicensed applicators used nothing but RoundUp, causing the weed population to shift to things resistant to it. In a bareground situation, I normally have to kill things that have been growing for years
Old 03-22-2008, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like diuron + oust might be the way to go. Thanks for the input fellas. Sure glad I found this site!
Old 03-22-2008, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

At what rate with the Oust and Diuron?
Old 03-22-2008, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

10-12 lb Diuron and 4-8 oz Oust, tank mix with Glyphosate, MSMA, Garlon, or 2,4-D as indicated by the existing vegetation that has already emerged. If there is no woody brush or vines and all of the weeds are under 4" tall at the time of application, a Qt of nonionic surfactant will cause the Diuron to penetrate the weed leaves and kill them. I usually am called in when a bulldozer and napalm are starting to look like an option.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStine315 View Post
I've used Sahara in the past. I liked it, but it tended to settle in the tank.
Sahara is great because it doesn't tend to leach, or move laterally out of the target area...so long as the soil you're spraying is "intact" and isn't prone to erosion. I never have problems with Sahara settling in the tank, because I never have any problems emptying out the entire tank at each job site.

More on "settling" of WP's and WDG's :

Other than having inadequate physical agitation, water that is especially alkaline (high pH) can cause this problem too...and it can be remedied by adding small amounts of white vinegar to the tank mix. When I worked at a different facility that had this problem, back in the 80's and early '90s, the water was "sweet" well water that was around 7.8 - 8.0 pH.
I remember adding a full cup of 20% vinegar (avail at an organic gardener store) to the 200 gallon sprayer BEFORE I'd add anything else!
It made a huge difference.

Sahara is absolutely wonderful in clayey, and / or silt based soils...and very economical.

But I don't recommend Sahara ( alone, at least ) in highly sand-based soils, because of it's lack of ability to lock on to the silica.
However, a tank-mix of Sahara, and some type of cheap ( but also enviro-friendly) oil-base non-selective would be O.K. in this circumstance.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have any of you guys even used Vegemec?
Cost per 1000 sqft is like 25% of Sahara. And it works as good or better.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Vegemec is good for small areas. I would end up buying it by the 30 or 55 gallon drum and spraying it undiluted. A gallon of Vegemec does not cover much area. OTOH, a gallon of Pramitol or Arsenal, will do some area.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
I never have problems with Sahara settling in the tank, because I never have any problems emptying out the entire tank at each job site.

More on "settling" of WP's and WDG's :

Other than having inadequate physical agitation, water that is especially alkaline (high pH) can cause this problem too...and it can be remedied by adding small amounts of white vinegar to the tank mix. When I worked at a different facility that had this problem, back in the 80's and early '90s, the water was "sweet" well water that was around 7.8 - 8.0 pH.
I remember adding a full cup of 20% vinegar (avail at an organic gardener store) to the 200 gallon sprayer BEFORE I'd add anything else!
It made a huge difference.
Thanks Marcos. I chalked it up to inadequate agitation (200 gal. Lesco) I only mixed up what I could use in a day, but that was driving around, too. But the Ph may be a factor as well. Thanks.
Member Mich. Turfgrass Foundation (MTF)