Register free!

Old 03-22-2008, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Japanese maple

Have a customer that has a japanese maple. It has a stem or branch that is coming out of it and is growing straight up. Does anyone know what this is. and can i trim or cut it off with out harming the tree.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-Seasons View Post
Have a customer that has a japanese maple. It has a stem or branch that is coming out of it and is growing straight up. Does anyone know what this is. and can i trim or cut it off with out harming the tree.
Post pictures? This would help with identifying what's up.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

You can either cut it off or tie it so that it weeps.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This ones tied up and the other is one I put in our back yard 2 years ago. I haven't thought about how I'm going to tie it up. I'll probably be dead before it hits 5 ft at the grow rate they have.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2008, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

is the branch that is going straight up coming from below the graft union? If it is, you most definitely want to remove that branch. That is an indication the plant is reverting and growing from the root stock. Eventually the root stock can and will take over and your weeping Japaneses maple will no longer exist. Often times the root stock will be from a green leaf variety and that is an easy diagnosis. If any of this information is foreign, contact me and I can give you additional assistance.

Kirk
Old 03-22-2008, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams To Designs View Post
is the branch that is going straight up coming from below the graft union? If it is, you most definitely want to remove that branch. That is an indication the plant is reverting and growing from the root stock. Eventually the root stock can and will take over and your weeping Japaneses maple will no longer exist. Often times the root stock will be from a green leaf variety and that is an easy diagnosis. If any of this information is foreign, contact me and I can give you additional assistance.

Kirk
Yes, this is a little foreign, but thanks for the quick response. The piece is growing from the top of the jap. maple. If i do cut it off will it disease the tree?
Old 03-23-2008, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Without seeing the plant and offending branch, it is difficult to make any accurate suggestions. Any pruning cut has the potential to be an entry point for a pest or disease. If the the pruning cut is placed properly and done correctly,the hazards are minimized. If you do make a pruning cut, it should be slightly above a bud you wish to be the new dominant direction, on an angle so that it can heal quickly with a sharp pair of pruners or loppers that have been cleaned with a 10% bleach to water solution. If you must remove the branch at the trunk, leave only enough for the branch collar to heal over.

Kirk
Old 03-23-2008, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Member

If you have a branch growing straight up from a weaping type of Japanese maple like a Crimson Queen or Tamukyama coming up from the base it is deffinately reverting and needs to be removed asap. After a hard winter you can see this happen alot as the upper part of the grafted plant has suffered and the roots are ready for new year.

I like fireglow, Emperor1, Tamukyama along with coral bark. Good luck.

www.LandscapeNashville.com