Register free!

Old 02-12-2002, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ducks in a row

I like all my ducks in a row so to speak. my question is i have about 1/4 a jug of 2,4-d and about 1/4 a jug of class 40-A, both are broadleaf weed killers would it be ok to mix them to free up shelf space? yes i know i'am very anal.
Old 02-12-2002, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Keifer,
Take a very small yet equal quantity of each & mix them together first, shake , & let sit for a few days. If they don't turn to Jello, you should be OK. Record what you did & relable the jug. If one product went down @1 oz/M & the other went down @ 2 oz/M. The resulting cocktail would be 1.5 oz/M.
If either of the 2 items says on the lable that it isn't compatible with the other in a tank mix, then blending the 2 concentrates will be worse. I'd also watch thet both are either amine or ester. Only because I've never mixxed the 2 together before. You could call the manufacturer too.
Good Luck,
Steve
Old 02-13-2002, 05:56 AM
LawnSite Member

tremor pretty much said what I was thinking...
Just one question tremor?
"Record what you did & relable the jug. If one product went down @1 oz/M & the other went down @ 2 oz/M. The resulting cocktail would be 1.5 oz/M."

I'm not sure (and please excuss me if I'm wrong... but woundn't the resulting cocktail be "3 oz/M"???
Old 02-13-2002, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just because they don't turn to jello doesn't necessarly mean its OK to mix them.

Go to:
http://www.cdms.net/pfa/LUpdateMsg.asp

check the labels and get the msds sheets. If it is ok to mix them then do it in a proper container and lable the mix with quantity/date/ingredients.
Old 02-13-2002, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys here is another dumb question what is going down and the percentage thing. what does that mean.plus any other stuff on the sub would be great. thanks
Old 02-13-2002, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The sum of the two products that are combined must be averaged together. So: 1 (oz/M) plus an equal quantity of 2 (oz/M) are added together to get 3 but then divided by 2 to get 1.5 (oz/M). Adding the two together to get 3 oz/M would result in a double rate of application. Or a full rate of each product. Two times. The ratio insures that each of the 2 are applied at one half rate. Unequal quantiites just use a different divisor.
Compatibility must be checked first on the lable. If the lable says you can't mix the 2, then you can't. Period.
If neither lable says you can, but also doesn't say that you can't, then it's up to the applicator to do a jar test for compatibility.
An Example: Tank mixxes of 2,4-D & MSMA are legal and popular. But don't mix the two together as concentrates! Jello! A popular herbicide company has had trouble with this mix even with the proper use of buffering agents.
I would do the jar test either way since lable compatibility language assumes the user is making a tank mix which involes significant amounts of water. Water is a pretty fair buffer in these volumes.
That said, there are some products that can be legally combined in a tank mix that still can get goofy, so a buffering agent like chelated iron or the like, are still a good idea.

Keifer, Why don't you post the actual 2 product names. I have the resources to check the actual compatibility if I know what they are.

Steve
Old 02-13-2002, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry tremor, I wasn't thinking about "spray pattern"!
It was real early in am when i posted that
I use to only spray from a 50 gal. Tank sprayer, AND it was only on 8" tracking (no half pass stuff) So I used/was thinking the full rate. Never burned or had a complaint about weeds either
Now we have a perma-green so I am getting use to that kind of spraying (and NOW i've had a few problems with Burning!
Go figure! I'm upping the nozzles to 32,000M per tank from the 64,000M that came w/ machine this season.
Old 02-14-2002, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Guys thanks for all the advice but i can see that it is over my head. With all the advice you gave me and the more i think about it that self space is not that important. thanks agine.