Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2008, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pglover19 View Post
I just got my soil analysis report back from the lab today and here are some key takeaways from the report. The analysis was performed by A&L Laboratories in VA. The total sq.footage on my lawn is 22,000 sq. ft.

1. The soil PH level is 6.8. The average for my area is between 6 and 7. Based on that number, the lab explained to me that there was no need to apply lime.
2. The organic matter is 1.0 which was explained to me as not good. This is sandy soil that does not hold water. The average should be 2.5 to 3%. The recommendation is to no bag my grass clipping and apply leafy compose. Well I have an established lawn that is 6 years old and the total square footage is 22,000.
3. The suggested fertilization program is as follows starting in the fall (September) based on my test results:
a. First Application - 10 lbs per 1,000 sq.ft of 10-5-20 fertilizer. That is a
total of 220 lbs of fertilizer for my lawn.
b. Second Application - 10 lbs per 1,000 sq.ft of 10-5-20 fertilizer. That
is a total of 220 lbs of fertilizer for my lawn.
c. Third Application - 8 lbs per 1,000 sq.ft of 21-3-7 fertilizer. That
is a total of 176 lbs of fertilizer for my lawn.

Please post your suggestions/recommendations/insights on what I can do to improve my lawn. If you are unable to see the numbers in the report, please let me know and I will post them...

Sir,

I would use Lesco's 24-5-11 50% PPSCU. It has above 3% free Sulfur, and your 11 ppm (22 lbs per acre) test result, is too low on that Low CEC/Sandy Profile. 25ppm/50lbs per Acre is a good goal.

4 lbs per 1,000 of the lesco 24/5/11 3x a season at timings suggested will be fine, and get you up to around 35 Lbs/acre the 1st season.

Your turf will be greener and healthier.

If you topdress with the leaf compost, this will help bump up the OM%, and also offer available Sulfur, as well as eliminate one fert app.

Again this is what I would do.

Happy Spring.

Pete
Old 03-26-2008, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritage View Post
Sir,

I would use Lesco's 24-5-11 50% PPSCU. It has above 3% free Sulfur, and your 11 ppm (22 lbs per acre) test result, is too low on that Low CEC/Sandy Profile. 25ppm/50lbs per Acre is a good goal.

4 lbs per 1,000 of the lesco 24/5/11 3x a season at timings suggested will be fine, and get you up to around 35 Lbs/acre the 1st season.

Your turf will be greener and healthier.

If you topdress with the leaf compost, this will help bump up the OM%, and also offer available Sulfur, as well as eliminate one fert app.

Again this is what I would do.

Happy Spring.

Pete
Peter,

Please specify the LESCO product # for the 25-5-11 fertilizer you are talking about. On the LESCO site, there are a number of fertilizer products with the 25-5-11 number.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

looke dlike they were trying to get the K up, you could use potasium phosphate to raise that. Go with riggles rec on fert. To get the organic matter up leave the clippings on the lawn, just dont mow more than 1/3 length at a time cross cut it in. Mow when dry. By the end of the summer it will be up on organic matter. Compost top dress would be like 1 yard to 1000 sq ft thats alot to spread, someone with a bark blower might be able to do it in quick time
1-Z-Spray Int
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 03-27-2008, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pglover19 View Post
Peter,

Please specify the LESCO product # for the 25-5-11 fertilizer you are talking about. On the LESCO site, there are a number of fertilizer products with the 25-5-11 number.

Pete
Old 03-27-2008, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
looke dlike they were trying to get the K up, you could use potasium phosphate to raise that. Go with riggles rec on fert. To get the organic matter up leave the clippings on the lawn, just dont mow more than 1/3 length at a time cross cut it in. Mow when dry. By the end of the summer it will be up on organic matter. Compost top dress would be like 1 yard to 1000 sq ft thats alot to spread, someone with a bark blower might be able to do it in quick time

So what fertilizer combination would you use?
Old 03-28-2008, 06:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
No need for all the inert ingredients--I would use a higher analysis fertiizer--just use less. They suggest no phosphorus needed. So you should use a zero phosphorus fertilizer. They indicate potash is adequate. I would use less potash--say about half as much as nitrogen. It is sandy soil, low in organic matter. It would lose nutrients by leaching quickly. I would use a higher percentage of slow release nitrogen fertilizer --50 percent sulfer coated urea. 75 percent coated would be better. Compared to SCU, methylene urea and IBDU are better quality slow release nitrogen, better results. If you can find slow-release potash--that would improve results.
Please recommend a fertilizer combination (N-P-K).
Old 03-28-2008, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure what combo products r available in you area so I'll stay away from that one. However, I would suggest doing "split" apps at 1/2 the rate. I've found sandy soils respond better with a more even feeding. I also agree to "stay away from phosphates" esp if your near any lakes or rivers. "Give a hoot, don't pollute"
Old 03-28-2008, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

excellence program

Pglover,

For best results (a little more costly, so I have not used these products myself, except the 24-5-11 034474), I would suggest products with higher levels of slow release, especially on sandy soils with low organic matter.

If you are only using Lesco, I could not find any slow release potash, nor methylene urea in thier product line catalog.

A good choice for Round 1 would be 19-2-11, Dimension, 89% PPSCU as slow release nitrogen. #023506

A good choice for remaining rounds would be 32-0-10 , 75% PPSCU, 2% iron, #000691.

Almost as good (but has some phosphorus) would be 24-5-11 , 72% PPSCU and sulfate of potash, #034799.

Still good, and easier to find, would be 24-5-11, 50%PPSCU, #034474

Heritage has some good ideas. I would suggest feeding half-rate every three weeks for a good spoon-feeding effect and less loss due to leaching.

You need to discuss the program with local experts to plan your program to reduce the chances of diseases, like brown patch, on the tall fescue. You may wish to avoid all fertilizer during warm humid weather. Be sure to plan for good irrigation, weed control and insect control as needed.