Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2008, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dandelions, Onions and etc.

Ok, the onions may be wild garlic. I also have an unidentified weed. It has green leaves with purplish flowers and stands about 4 - 6 inches high. I also have some type of grass (not crabgrass) that is really green right now. It is in spots. The lawn is hybrid bermuda.

I have MSMA. Is it too early to use for the broadleafs? I would like to use a combination mix so I only have to spray once. I understand more than 1 application may be needed per season but I don't want to spray 1 thing in the morning and something else in the afternoon.

While I am mixing, it would be nice to add fertilizer if it is compatible with the mix. What should be used?

This is for my personal lawn (about 3.5 acres). I would like to start a program where I make applications 3 - 4 times a year. Any recommendations? I need to get this yard in shape. Thanks
Old 03-28-2008, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The purplish flower weed sounds like henbit. Trimec will work on this. The best way to figure out what will kill what is to look at the root system. Pull the plant out, if it has a tap root Trimec or any other 2,4-D product should be all you need.

If it has a fibrous root system it is a grassy weed. MSMA is effective when the temperatures are warm. MSMA should take care of most grassy weeds but it will stunt or burn your bermuda. Go to JD Landscapes and see about a product called Certainty for your cool season grassy weeds. More than likely the grassy weed is poa annua.

Go to weed alert.com. It is one of the sites listed at the top of the page under Helpful Tools.
Sub-contract Aerifying available too
Old 03-28-2008, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So, for now, I should just use a 2,4 D product? Dandelions have a tap root so I guess this product will kill both.

Can I / Should I mix a liquid fertilizer with the 2,4,D? If so, any recommendations?

I looked up Poa Anna and I believe you are correct about that being the grassy weed. Will MSMA take care of it? How warm does it need to be for the MSMA to work effectively on this?

Oh yeah, what about the onions/garlic? Will 2,4 D be effective on it?
Old 03-28-2008, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Temperatures should be at least 85 for good action with MSMA. In all likelihood you have cool season grassy weeds, look into Certainty or Monument. There are a few others that work also but these are the products I have used the most.

The wild onion or garlic I think is controlled by Certainty also. I don't have the label in front of me but from memory I think it will work. The down side to Certainty is it costs a little over $100 per acre.

As with all products read the label, be able to identify exactly what you are spraying and see what product controls it. Weed alert.com tells you what product controls what plants.
Sub-contract Aerifying available too
Old 03-28-2008, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
The down side to Certainty is it costs a little over $100 per acre.
Wow, that is definitely out of my price range.

Thanks for the help.