Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-01-2002, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Micro irragation yes or no

Have question on installation.
A potential client that is developing a Super 8 hotel wants minimal landscaping around his facility. Probably use small evergreens beneath each unit. He wants no lawn in this area which will be about a 5ft strip, He wants it in stone with a weed mat underneath the stone. Iam sure this is a candidate for Micro irragation. Small sprays would just water the rocks with high evaporation and the stone will look like crap on the shady side of the building after a period of time. Can anyone recomend or speak to this type of system. Iam in my 2nd year in the Biz and need some real input on Brand or installation tips. I use JD landscape as a primary supplier. Thanks
SEEEEEEEE Ya!!
Old 02-02-2002, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Drip irrigation is what you are refering to and it works fine. Just gotta know how to use it. Consult your pro at JD Landscape.
Old 02-15-2002, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Drip irrigation may work well, yes. But micro irrigation is a little different concept.

Actually, we usually call it Xerigation, which was coined by Rainbird. Xerigation or Microspray Systems are more specific than just a standard drip line with drip emitters.

We use this on all of the irrigation systems we install for the flowerbed zones. We typically use the xeri-sprays (picture below) But lately we've been experimenting with Xeri-Pops . They are pretty cool. It's like having a pop-up spray head but at less pressure. Either the xeri-sprays or the xeri-pops create a very cool misting effect. They also conserve water quite a bit.

It's less expensive to create a zone with xerigation than it is with traditional spray heads. Plus, you only have to bury your line at about 2" as opposed to the 8-12" that you have to bury PVC at.

If you want more info on this stuff email me with specific questions and I'll answer them.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon