Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2002, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Tennessee Workman's Comp

I'm planning on hiring a guy part time this year, 10-15 hours/week. I called a few insurance companies today to find out rates for workman's comp. From what I was told the law in Tennessee is that for the first year you use workman's comp you have to pay a premium of $750. One of the people I talked to said it didn't matter if the employee works 2 days in the first year or 300 days, you still pay $750 premium. After the first year you can shop for better rates. I called 3 places today and all of them quoted me $750. The last guy I talked to was the one that told me what I'm telling you now. I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this, and can tell me anything you know about the worker's comp laws in this state. Once again I only talked to insurance people, I did not talk with anyone in the tennessee government; but I would like to find out where I could read this law for myself before I dish out that much money for worker's comp.
Old 02-13-2002, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another alternative is to run your payroll through a temp agency. I called one last year and they said for a percentage (I can’t remember what it was exactly so I won’t guess) they would do the payroll, do the withholding, and provide WC for the employee.

If you are only going to us a helper limited hours a week, this might be more economical for you, but if the hours would build up, you might pay more than the $750 in the long run. Also, you would be responsible for paying ½ of the employee’s social security tax.
Old 02-13-2002, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Member

The guy I'm hiring for this year will not end up being a full time. He has to much other stuff going on. If I go through a temp agency will this employee be working through the temp agency, or is this just one of the services they provide? I think this makes since, if it doesn't let me know and I will rephrase it.
Old 02-13-2002, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I believe I am correct. You dont need workers comp for just one employee, just if you have more than three...
Old 02-14-2002, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a form here in my files that is for the State of TN. You need the person to sign, you sign, and have notorized. It states the person knows he isn't covered and is liable for himself. I haven't used it, but a friend of mine owns a construction type biz that he does. Several companies have questioned it, but when they call the state they have verified the form is good. Just a thought if you interested in the details.
Old 02-15-2002, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Consider yourself lucky. In GA the minimum premium is 2,000. I recently had to buy it because a commercial client required it... and I only have 2 people right now. It really hurts.