Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2008, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Vision/Dreams. Where will you be in ten years?

Talk about it. What equipment will you have, size of business, what new things will you endevouring to do or will be doing.

Imagine.......

A successful individual that I read about said that he takes time to dream for an hour a week. Not plan or put numbers to things, but dream. Putting images in his head about what he would like to see on the future.
The major difference between successful people and failures is that successful people make it a habit of doing things that failures don't like to do. It is not that they like doing them any more than the failures, it is that they subordinate their feelings and emotions to the higher cause.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Dreams I got in abundance.....cash on hand is another matter.

I see two scenarios for a new organic lco like mine. Consumer and investment trends are clear so I have no doubt that this approach to lawn care and landscaping is a growth business. In ten years a guy like me will either be roadkill with the tire tracks of a better funded outfit on my backside or I'll be bought out by the better funded outfit who'll be looking to franchise my process. Or if I wanna get really crazy maybe Im the guy who'll be leaving tire tracks on someone else's backside and buying out small guys like me.

Twenty years ago I was a grocery manager at a small health food store in the Chicago metro area. We were the ONLY place in Chicago that got weekly deliveries of organic produce. We got containers flown in from CA to O'Hare twice weekly so as you can imagine it wasn't cheap. Even so a small store, just over 7000 sq. ft. did over a million in total sales back when a million dollars was a million dollars. We did a Land Office business.

It was all for naught of course when Whole Foods came in. They put us out of business quickly. And they deserved to. They were the better organization so they deserved to win and I shop there today.

That's a lesson I learned verrrrrry well. No bitterness at all. I think that same history will repeat itself in the lawn care business. Its just going to take some time to sort out who's the small 7000sq. ft. store and who's the big boy.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

probably driving a G)*^$#@, sh*7y desk to answer all the stupid questions the state asks, those Ba%&ards!
Old 03-30-2008, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

treegal, what is the state givin you grief about? pm me if you don't wanna post here. Im in Fl too and just wondering what I have to look forward to.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

just the usual BS in a triplicate bag
Old 03-30-2008, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Land..
I would like to have large amount of land(stripped, wooded, wetland, I do not care, as long as I choose what goes on there)

Massive operation serving the Kingdom of God, its employee's, and the community. Lawn Maint, Design, landscaping, hardscaping, fencing, irrigation, worm farming, composting, animal farming, org fert production, org food production.
Providing jobs for every skill level and ability, a peaceful, safe and rewarding atmosphere with plenty of compensation and benefits for all employee's. Developemental training for advancement and life application.

Take over the waste management facilities here introducing more recycling.

This sounds good to me......All the while my two boys will learn the value of hard work, and get hands on experiance in sustainable ag.

Faith is the evidence of things not seen, and the substance of things hoped for.
The major difference between successful people and failures is that successful people make it a habit of doing things that failures don't like to do. It is not that they like doing them any more than the failures, it is that they subordinate their feelings and emotions to the higher cause.