Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2008, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

first the peat you use is a carbon sink that is being removed, thats not the best thing to do. try some compost or bio char.
second the rolling cage is just not that great to many filling and you will walk to death. it plugs up real bad if the stuff is not real dry and fine.

third the labor involved in this tool is a killer, its a 3 malin or mex job to just turn the thing when its full.

try a newerspreader
http://www.newerspreader.com/
Old 03-30-2008, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The client always pays for 'prep time' so the cost differential is worth it. Making sure the composted material's consistency is right for the roller - is cost effective.
I do like the newer spreader, but just do not know that I will have enough 'organic business' to justify the investment.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

we just hit 200 acc. in one weekend. one garden show.200 would be a good start for any buisness model we are at 500+ and growing

be brave and hustle, leave a card or two at the house next door, and so on
Old 03-30-2008, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Marketing is job one this year The business is routine.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Barefoot James has done an excellent job of marketing his business this winter, he has gone from zero organic customers to almost more than he can handle in just a couple of months. I met him in October at the GIE show where he was sizing up the organic lawn care business, here we are at the end of March and he is almost to the point where he has to be very selective on which properety he will service.

he has gotten several commercial accounts as well, the commercial accounts are, of course, playing the "green" card about their properties

One company in the Northeast has gone to the regional and corporate headquarters of several large multinational companies like McDonalds, Toyota, Marriott and have gotten all of their properties in the areas that they serve. Drive up to the speaker to place your order at Mc Donalds and there is a small sign that says "This property is maintained naturally and organically by XYZ company, your children are safe to play here" talk about marketing

Rent a room at the local Marriott and the sign is at the door and next to the register
Old 04-01-2008, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
first the peat you use is a carbon sink that is being removed, thats not the best thing to do. try some compost or bio char.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a carbon sink? What is bio char? Charcoal?
Old 04-01-2008, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

aw cheese and rice, is google down again?

try cutting and pasting

search naturally it has some good reading
Old 04-01-2008, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

dtally,
An organically tended lawn could be a carbon sink as you are adding or keeping a level of organic matter in the soil. It is the ability of something (soil) to sequester CO2. here is a googled answer:

The concept of carbon sinks is based on the natural ability of trees, other plants and the soil to soak up carbon dioxide and temporarily store the carbon in wood, roots, leaves and the soil.

There are multinational companies out there that are beginning to trade carbon credits,

Could a lawn care company sell/trade the carbon credit for their organically tended lawns? We will soon see, sooner than later. this may be too big of an idea. With 33,000,000 square miles of lawn in the US it could be a big number

Dtally, If you like to read, pick up a book written by Charles Mann called 1491 it will explain in detail what bio-char it is actuallt a facinating read. His research suggests that in 1491 the population of North America was something like 55,000,000, yep 55 million. Apparently it was not the vast wilderness as we have been taught
Old 04-01-2008, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks bill...

Aw! Google is back up. and for cheese and rice, my yards is 1st after my dog an I.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

actually the enzyme in cheese........ just kidding. you guys are no fun. I hope you read 1491 it is on the must read list for sure. scary how history repeats itself.

for sale carbon credits cheap. must not export!