Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2008, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Pre-emergents- which one

Newly licensed here- What pre-m do you use the most? I know there are those that work on grasses and those that work on broadleaf weeds. Just trying to get a feel for what you use and if any will control both very well. Also, what to use for rock beds (where the client doesn't want weeds coming up)- I figure glyphosate and some pre-m are safer than a sterilizer.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Pre-M is a pre-emergent for turf, but is messy to work with. Dimension is the prefered cg control these days IMO. Barricade is good to but more expensive. I use snapshot from Lesco in my shrub beds

Last edited by mngrassguy; 04-05-2008 at 03:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-05-2008, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmllc View Post
What pre-m do you use the most? I know there are those that work on grasses and those that work on broadleaf weeds.
I am going to try Echelon this year. I used Barricade in the past and both products use the same active ingredient. Echelon also has sulfentrazone in it, and I used that last year also, and was very impressed with the results. Echelon claims to be a pre and post emerge on crab, and pre for some broadleaf, and post for many broadleaves, and it supresses sedges.

Sounds like a silver bullet for weeds, I'll find out.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

On rock beds I like Gallery and Barricade watered in right after application or Ronstar Flo.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmllc View Post
Newly licensed here- What pre-m do you use the most? I know there are those that work on grasses and those that work on broadleaf weeds. Just trying to get a feel for what you use and if any will control both very well. Also, what to use for rock beds (where the client doesn't want weeds coming up)- I figure glyphosate and some pre-m are safer than a sterilizer.
I have used Pre-M and using Dimension this year...We will see.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Everything depends on the rate of application. No product is good if you do not use enough. If you have a long growing season--you need more--regardless of product. Pre-em, Team, Barricade and Dimension are the main products.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's excactly right, I see so many guys out there using .20 stonewall/barricade or .10 dimension and doing one app. and trashing the products saying how bad they work, I think it's funny and sad at the same time.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I will use Barricade this season... at the recommended rate. I like the residual specs it has... but will still allow for fall overseedings. I haven't use it before, but as a small LCO, I can afford to spend the extra $ on a good pre-M. I think if I went Pendi, I might need a second app in late July. Being an LCO makes me less cost sensitive than most of you large volume spray guys.