Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2008, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scat Trak Skid Steer... Opinions?

I came across what seems to be a pretty good deal on a Scat Trak Skid Steer and I'm not to familiar with their reputation. The machine is a 1996 1300C.

I do know that they were bought out by volvo in 2001 I believe. But as far as their durability and reliableness and general reputation, I have no idea.

Keep in mind my uses are light. It would mainly load salt in the winter, plow our 24,000 square foot lot where the salt is stored (would free up a truck of doing that so we could use the truck for other lots) and some light landscape projects now and then during summer. I have a 2210 with a loader that we use for snow, sidewalks, very light dirt work, and since I bought it new in 2005, we've only put 160 hours on it.

Opinions?
Old 04-06-2008, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Look up the word "scat" in a dictionary, that will give you an excellent idea what they are about. I demo'ed one against the Bobcat 753 back in '97 and the Bobcat was the better choice.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 04-06-2008, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you were relying on it to produce income everyday, I would certainly not recommend it. Given the light use that you have in mind for, if it is in good mechanical shape it might be worth it. Price would be the driver for me. Given that 10K will buy an 1840 or 1845C that has value, I would not want to pay but half that for a Scat Track at the most. Even though you will be using it lightly, no one wants to own something that has no value and maybe difficult to get support for. Which is another way to look at this.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

put it this way..when Volvo buys a company they buy a sh*tty company/product and re-engineer it to make it better

however with that said if you will be loading salt an no real work then go for it if it's the right price...you don't need a top dollar machine if you wil only put 100 hours a year on it
Old 04-06-2008, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Digger2 View Post
put it this way..when Volvo buys a company they buy a sh*tty company/product and re-engineer it to make it better

however with that said if you will be loading salt an no real work then go for it if it's the right price...you don't need a top dollar machine if you wil only put 100 hours a year on it

On a related issue. Anybody have any insight on why Volvo has not done something with this machine? I checked them out at ConExpo and they are mostly unchanged. They added pilot controls and engines but other than that not much different than the last Scat Traks before the buyout. Structurally it is unchanged. Why, they are not competing why continue to put out a product that is not even close to competetive in the market?

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Digger2 View Post

So, The Ingersoll Rand company was a sh*tty company?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i played on a new volvo last summer. it had all the options on it as well as the pilot controls. i was impressed with it. didn't get to work it but i was suprised how smooth the pilot controls were. after reading on here about delays on some units i was looking for the same on the volvo. no delay and very smooth. as i have said efore i'm not a skid steer guy so take my impressions with a gain of salt. don't remember the model name but 80 was the number it had in it. for me coming from backhoe controls i felt the most comfortable in it of any skid when first jumping in the machine.
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 04-06-2008, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmtn View Post
i played on a new volvo last summer. it had all the options on it as well as the pilot controls. i was impressed with it. didn't get to work it but i was suprised how smooth the pilot controls were. after reading on here about delays on some units i was looking for the same on the volvo. no delay and very smooth. as i have said efore i'm not a skid steer guy so take my impressions with a gain of salt. don't remember the model name but 80 was the number it had in it. for me coming from backhoe controls i felt the most comfortable in it of any skid when first jumping in the machine.
tnmnt, here's the machine you tried out.

http://www.volvo.com/constructionequ...troduction.htm
Old 04-06-2008, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok you babies. Raise your hand if YOU HAVE EVER RAN ONE!!!!!

Quit bashing a machine you have only seen pics of!!!!

I have ran one Older unit Maybe a 96 - 98 model 1800 (Its been awhile). All beat up (Came out of a concrete plant) And that old girl had way more power than the Case 1845C's and the Bobcat 873's that were brand new on our lot at the time. (1999)

Not only did it have a ton of power, but its plain simpleness was just great. We used it mostly as a back-up rental unit, and once guys got over the its not a bobcat complaint. They seemed to like it and All of them loved the power. I'ld love to have an older one for around the shop and as a back up in the field.

J.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer_Z View Post
So, The Ingersoll Rand company was a sh*tty company?
i don't know...IR was a very quality company, maybe Volvo just wants to expand their market to compete.

we have a 15ton Volvo trackhoe, formally Samsung...and i absolutely love the thing. Everything you want in a machine of that size, then a little more...in the 5000 hours it has on it the only real problem is the auto-throttle acts up sometimes so you manually have to switch it off, but i think thats because dust got down in the circuit and causes problems

Volvo buys quality and not so quality companies...but there are reasons that those companies are selling out