Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-04-2008, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Atv use for lawn rolling?

Has anyone ever used there atv for landscape work/maintenance. I towed a fertilizer spreader a few times last season and it worked out good. My ZTR's do not have a hitch system like my atv and would not be able to hook up and tow a lawn roller. The only problem I found is that the atv doesnt turn very well (in comparison to a ztr) and when turning the front tires do a number on the lawn. Any knowledge or info would help! Thanks, Chris
Old 04-04-2008, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

We used an atv to pull around an aerator last fall. It worked ok but like you said it doesn't turn worth a crap. It wasn't too bad since they were large properties though. You should be able to buy or fabricate a hitch for your ztr.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I have done it in the past, but I made a hitch for my Z. Sometimes you can order a hitch as an accessory or find on at an online auction. What mower do you have? maybe someone here can find one for you.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i got a big sprayer with a boom on one of mine, i spray some lawns with it, but mostly spray on the farm and hunting roads with it.
20' landscape trailer - 6.5x12 landscape trailer
5x10 utility trailer
3- 60" lazers, 1- 72" lazer 1- 36" W/B
15 shindaiwa handhelds, 3 echo saws
36" stihl chainsaw
2 fs100rx's, 2 br600 magnum FS94R, KM90
'92 long 2360/6'king kutter w/7.5x18 trailer

lawn sprinklers save your grass, fire sprinklers save your -----
Old 04-04-2008, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I've used a small ATV (4 wheeler) and trailer for mulching for many years. Works great. I replaced the original very knobby tires with non-damaging tires. Keeps from tearing up the grass. I don't see why you couldn't use one for lawn rolling.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds good. I am going to be rolling mainly residentials, I think it will work with the atv, but the tires are agressive trail tires and I have a feeling it will tear things up. I guess its worth a try. On the other hand...I currently have my baggers on both of my ZTR's, so I can't put a hitch accesory on. I could however put one on if it were easy to remove so the bagger would work. I have both Toro's (One older model Z Master and a new model Z500 series I believe). If anyone has any ideas or knowledge of a fabricated hitch I would like to hear it, or if there is a manufacturer who sells them. Thanks!

Chris
Old 04-07-2008, 02:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK82 View Post
Sounds good. I am going to be rolling mainly residentials, I think it will work with the atv, but the tires are agressive trail tires and I have a feeling it will tear things up. I guess its worth a try. On the other hand...I currently have my baggers on both of my ZTR's, so I can't put a hitch accesory on. I could however put one on if it were easy to remove so the bagger would work. I have both Toro's (One older model Z Master and a new model Z500 series I believe). If anyone has any ideas or knowledge of a fabricated hitch I would like to hear it, or if there is a manufacturer who sells them. Thanks!

Chris
if your gonna use the ATV i would get these tires that are in the link below. I run them on my atv that i use for yard stuff and they work great at not tearing up the lawn and still give you traction. i dont know about the price on the site i just searched them so you could see what they are ...but look around at prices. hope this helps
Old 04-07-2008, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i dont believe in rolling a lawn , its the worst thing you can do , packing that soil down and not letting it breath . The only thing when oit would be ok is if you rolled it and followed right behind with a areator
2007 Scag 48 Hydro ultimate Velo plus deck
2 echo 2400 line trimmers 2 echo 260 s line trimmers
3 echo hedgers 3 echo blowers echo edger
Chevy 3500 dually Trucks
Old 04-07-2008, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use my Recon on my personal lawn without damage, but I have let the tires go until nearly slick. I dont want to purchase tires because I do like to use it on my lawn and I cannot find a turf tire for my size wheels. They are great for araes with limited space for a full sized truck and pull a garden wagon and a trailer very nicely.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."