Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2008, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Green

I was only in Hawaii once for a couple hours and that was a fueling stop. A professor doing research on Seashore Paspalum could only talk about how it even grew in the volcanic soil of Hawaii.
That grass is the tamed hybrid of your bahia grass. It does need some different cultural conditions from other grasses. It needs salty, alkaline soil to be its best, does not grow well in wet, acidic red clay soils such as is found in the upland areas here. I can imagine it growing well on volcanic cinder and sand, because poor drainage makes the grass prone to dollar spot, leaf spot and take-all disease.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
That grass is the tamed hybrid of your bahia grass. It does need some different cultural conditions from other grasses. It needs salty, alkaline soil to be its best, does not grow well in wet, acidic red clay soils such as is found in the upland areas here. I can imagine it growing well on volcanic cinder and sand, because poor drainage makes the grass prone to dollar spot, leaf spot and take-all disease.
Green

Seashore Paspalum is now used on many golf course in the Caribbean because of the lack of fresh water. It survives best on 2 to 3 parts seawater to one part fresh water. In an experiment in which I witnessed, Seashore paspalum did better with a mix of sea water than straight fresh water. I am thinking Seashore paspalum is native to Hawaii.

Oops a quick google found this.
http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.a...2&select=25010

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by philk17088 View Post
Ah yes. Chemscape. Part of the Chemlawn services Corp back when they actually stood for something. Techs had college degrees, had many people in support staff that were experts in their field. We made Jack VanFossen a lot of $. I can still do the chemlance grid in my sleep!
Hi Phil -- nice to have former ChemScapers on this site. I also remember Jim Moon and Dr. Bob Partyka (recently deceased). ChemScape techs carried briefcases while the lawn jockeys carried clipboards. We considered ourselves a cut above with good reason (you know). And the ChemScape trucks were 40 years ahead of their time -- they looked COOL! Three 200 gallon tanks & two 100 gallon tanks (made by Tuflex) all installed to make a "space age" looking unit. Oh ya......too bad ChemScape went to the big round tank making it look like a lawn truck (but they cut the cost of trucks in half when they did this)....also changing the name to "ChemLawn Tree & Shrub" -- to me that sounded dumb. I remember the ChemLance when it utilized plumbing parts for the gun -- then they switched to the plastic ChemLawn gun -- then they went to the J-D9 gun which is still used today. Westheffer (Lawrence, KS) bought much of ChemLawn's inventory of parts when "Waste Management" bought ChemLawn from the Duke family. The ChemScape days were good ones for sure.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
so lets say the furthest roots are 3x the drip line or 30 feet...so to get that area of possible roots you got (3.14 x 225)- 78sqft, that gives you 628 sqft....almost ten times as much surface
Yes that's my point, 50% of the roots in an area 10x as large = low concentration. There are plenty of feeder roots within the dripline to make fertilization effective. Are you also doing Merit treatments beyond the dripline? The 10' tree example is one thing but when you talk about a live oak where the crown is easily 80' accross, you're telling me you're going to put down an acre of fert for each tree? You must be working on a much bigger budget than I am.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Green

Seashore Paspalum is now used on many golf course in the Caribbean because of the lack of fresh water. It survives best on 2 to 3 parts seawater to one part fresh water. In an experiment in which I witnessed, Seashore paspalum did better with a mix of sea water than straight fresh water. I am thinking Seashore paspalum is native to Hawaii.

Oops a quick google found this.
http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.a...2&select=25010
It is commonly used in Hawaii, however this grass is extremely high maintenance on the wrong soil or if it is inland and away from the coast. It needs salt. This grass will become overrun with grassy weeds if there is not enough salt. I suspect that the usual diseases that this grass is prone to are not active in sodic soils. It is a common observation of even the "landscapers" that Seashore Paspalum is hard to manage if it is not growing on a beachfront property. Atrazine, simazine, Sencor, MSMA or Image must never be used on this grass. Vantage and Acclaim will wipe it out where it is not wanted. Everything I have read about this grass says it is native to South Africa, but is endemic in South America and North America.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkeepers76550 View Post
Is there anything that can be done with oak wilt. My father in law has a huge tree in his back yard and it is killing over.
A couple years ago my 30+ year old oak had leaf wilt and I thought it was going to die. I deep root fed it twice the year it was really bad and the next year when it came out it did not have any wilt at all. After 2 years of deep root feeding it is by far the best looking oak around.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mngrassguy View Post
Saw a guy last year drilling holes and pouring fert in. Jerk

Gives us all a bad name
that is a approved method of applying merit 2 oz systemic
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 04-06-2008, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassmechanic View Post
I run between 300-400 psi. I use Lesco Arbor-Green, liquid iron and a lesco deep root feeder. I'll add Merit if the client has insect issues or if the trees are in a new sub, I'll add some myco. Pricing depends on tree size and any issues involved with it. Also put a disclaimer about sprinkler systems, invisible dog fences, etc. cause you will find a sprinkler line eventually.
i put a disclaimer for any unmarked subsurface obstruction not buried deeper than 2 ft. I poked a hole in a copper propane like scared the crap out of me.
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 04-06-2008, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
that is a approved method of applying merit 2 oz systemic
FYI

He was using powder blue

Feed the trees screwed the lawn
Old 04-07-2008, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
i put a disclaimer for any unmarked subsurface obstruction not buried deeper than 2 ft. I poked a hole in a copper propane like scared the crap out of me.
Haven't hit a gas line.............yet. But I'm sure that will happen sooner or later (I've hit everything else so far)

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill