Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-10-2008, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

lesco verses andersons

This is our first yr for fertilizing could anyone tell me if they prefer lesco brand or andersons better
Old 04-10-2008, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionlawn4u View Post
This is our first yr for fertilizing could anyone tell me if they prefer lesco brand or andersons better
I find Anderson's prill size to be more consistent with less fine (dust)
Old 04-10-2008, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
I find Anderson's prill size to be more consistent with less fine (dust)
I find the opposite. Every prill of the Lesco fertilizer has an SGN of 200 for their standard fertilizer. As far as dust, it has virtually none. My spreaders stay cleaner and spread more evenly with the consistent prill size. Anderson's is a nice fertilizer, but better than Lesco when it comes to the prill size and dust, I respectfully disagree.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you choose to use Lesco, beware, you must deal with them just like a sleazy car salesman. Never accept the first price. If you plan to use 1 pallet of fert per app, tell them you think you will be using 3 pallets per fert. Unlike other companies, Lesco will feel you out then try to suck as much money out of you as possible. I prefer up front companies that give you a price list, with listed volume discounts. I've asked for a price on gypsum on 3 different occassions (within 4 months) and the price was $7, $8 then $9, while at Home Depot the price was $3.99.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesturf View Post
If you choose to use Lesco, beware, you must deal with them just like a sleazy car salesman. Never accept the first price. If you plan to use 1 pallet of fert per app, tell them you think you will be using 3 pallets per fert. Unlike other companies, Lesco will feel you out then try to suck as much money out of you as possible. I prefer up front companies that give you a price list, with listed volume discounts. I've asked for a price on gypsum on 3 different occassions (within 4 months) and the price was $7, $8 then $9, while at Home Depot the price was $3.99.
I so agree with you about dealing with Lesco. My first time there, they tried to lean me over the counter and just take it...lol....for 18 bags of 0-0-8 and 24-3-12 I think they told me $784....with a straight face after trying to explain how HD carries their name, but not the same product. I walked out, and later that day they were calling to play lets make a deal. Sorta pissed me off we had to go that route, but I got what I wanted for what I wanted to pay so now I am happy, well sorta...
Old 04-11-2008, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anderson's SGN = 210-215
LESCO SGN = 240-260

So if particles per square foot matter to you then the Anderson's is the better choice.

UI or Uniformiry Index is quite variable among some manufacturers. We can post opnions all we want but the proof is only available to those have have one of these:
Attached Images

Last edited by tremor; 04-11-2008 at 12:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-11-2008, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsquickcuts View Post
I so agree with you about dealing with Lesco. My first time there, they tried to lean me over the counter and just take it...lol....for 18 bags of 0-0-8 and 24-3-12 I think they told me $784....with a straight face after trying to explain how HD carries their name, but not the same product. I walked out, and later that day they were calling to play lets make a deal. Sorta pissed me off we had to go that route, but I got what I wanted for what I wanted to pay so now I am happy, well sorta...
That comes out to $43.55 per bag-I hope this had Merit or Mach II in it. Did they at least offer a tube of KY jelly?
Old 04-11-2008, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsquickcuts View Post
I just bought 40 -50 pound bags of slow release crabgrass, round 1, for $15.63 per bag. And this distributor clearly showed me in the catalog that if I bought 80 bags the price would be $15.13 per bag. Its nice to see your prices listed out and you know that what you are being charged is the same price the next guy will be charged.