Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2008, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Applying sealer by hand (squeegee) or spray wand?

What are everyone's opinion on the subject? I have applied sealer to driveways using a squeegee. The downfalls are that it takes significantly longer to complete each driveway and messier. However the advantages are that I often, and have, used the fact that i apply the sealer by hand as a competitive advantage and as a result often get away with charging a higher premium for my service, and a last advantage is that applying sealer by hand is not nearly as expensive as purchasing a spray wand, pump, etc...

thoughts?
Old 01-15-2008, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds Good to me do you have to have contractors Lic for your state
Old 01-15-2008, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Wburks, in new york general contractors in our category (asphalt maintenance, sealcoaters) are governed at the county level. I can only speak on sullivan County, so to answer your answer, no I do not need a business license/permit, but it is all contingent upon the county.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i advertize as hand applied and it definately helps me land work i say a brush applied drive lasts 4-5 years, squeege 3-4 and a spray job lasts a year maybe 2 thats normal driveway traffic though

driveways i always brush apply with 40" brushes, it fills up cracks and looks nice when done, squeege will squeegee off the top of the aggregate and wears off faster

parking lots i spray, and will brush in entrances where theres more traffic

if people want me to beat a price ill spray after i wet the driveway (you get what you pay for, you cant to a 1000 square foot driveway for 80 dollars so stop being gypsies)

i get around 17-25 cents a square foot for brush applied , yet people are still out there bidding 7-12 cents...i could see if it was a 600,000 sqft parking lot then maybe 9 cents would fly
Old 02-13-2008, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

my thoughts...

I have been sealing for about 5 years and I have always found in my area that customers by far prefer hand application over spraying. Most spray jocks in this area are basically here today - gone tomorrow - quick in - quick out - and merely paint the driveway . I have consisitently sold jobs - and part of my estimating procedure figures in the amount of time it's going to take and I charge accordingly - and can easily justify my higher price to my customers. Where you run into difficulty is if you are going to be doing large commercial parking lots - where hand application is just not feasible - so having spray equipment does allow for commericial applications - as well as offering a choice to the residential customers. I have yet to have 1 single residential customer choose spraying over hand application - even though the price is considerably different.
Dave
Old 02-25-2008, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

We use both depending on how big the area is were doing

We often do two coats (3+ for commercial) One squeegee one spray the squeegee coat is for smoothness and the spray coat is for durability

www.clbutlerpaving.com

Asphalt Paving.
Tree & Lawn services.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I spray and get great results.... always do a good cleaning, take my time and follow up the year after to make sure the job is standing up. Usually get 3 good years out of a job. Respraying 2005 driveways this year. We get alot of referrals, we're accessible with signage etc.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalbucket View Post
I spray and get great results.... always do a good cleaning, take my time and follow up the year after to make sure the job is standing up. Usually get 3 good years out of a job. Respraying 2005 driveways this year. We get alot of referrals, we're accessible with signage etc.
We spray and give a two year warranty, Somtimes I'll do a new drive by hand first then spray a second. I charge .17 to .27 for spraying. I feel I put down a lot more spraying then I do by hand and the drive gets more mills of protection..