Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-23-2002, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Power brooms for Spring clean ups?

Hi,
Has any one ever used power brooms for spring clean ups?
How well do they work?
Do they save time?
Do they damage the turf at all?

I was looking into adding a power broom to my walker.

Thanks for all your help!!!
Old 02-23-2002, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I wonder the same! I just purchased the dethatching tine attatchment for my Walker. I have not used it yet, but have read threads stating that it works well for clean-ups. It attatches to the front of GHS deck.

MATT
Old 02-23-2002, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The power broom is a very expensive and time consuming way to do a cleanup. 2001 Prices to follow.The power broom (2158.00)has to be used with the quick hitch (863.00). When you are done you still have to get off and shovel that mess to get rid of it. Then you need to put your deck back on to cut.

I think its a nice concept if you get consistently dirty walkways or light dustings of snow over a mile of sidewalk but its really not the most efficient way to do spring cleanups.

The spring tine dethatcher is an excellent tool. It isn't a true dethatcher but I'll leave that discussion for another time. The unit just snaps on the front of the deck frame with no tools in about 10 seconds and comes off just as quick. You run over the dormant lawn with this and vacuum up the debris with the GHS and off you go. I make big $$$$ with this set up in about 5 weeks. My dethatcher was paid for with the first job and I paid for a new Walker in less than a year. Not bragging but just trying to show you potential, oh I forgot to tell you I did this part time and solo.
You have to find what works for you but I really dont think you want to spend 3K to do something that you could have done easier for 200.00. Good Luck
Old 02-23-2002, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i have a power broom attachment for my echo split shaft trimmer. it works excellent for spring cleanups. i take a couple swaths on the lawn to get the sand up, and then push the sand away from the curb good so the sweeper can get it. the attachmen was $300. if you do a lot of cleanups, you may want to spring for a dedicated sweepster. they work really well and dont damage the turf at all. i have a tine rake dethather for my scag(jrco), and it works excellent. i usually blow all the leaves and twigs off, and then mow with the bagger and dethatcer all in one shot. i definately recommend the sweeper though.
Old 02-23-2002, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

whatttt,
you don't have one???

go demo, you'll have one then.

these are worth their weight in gold.
Old 02-23-2002, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

They are a must-have.

IMO you are better off with a dedicated unit such as a Sweepster for around $2000 so you can use the walker for picking up the loosened material.
Old 02-23-2002, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We must be talking about two different things here. A full sized powerbroom, or a powersweep attachment for a trimmer. I don't know much about the full sized deal, but I DO know that the powersweep attachment like what the Stihl is available with is an incredible asset. This is the one that goes on a trimmer unit, and has the drum with the rubber flaps. I happen to clean out quite a few ditches and median areas that covered in gravel from the road plows during the winter. Before, what I'd have to do, was rake the sones downward on each side of the ditches to the bottom. To do this, of course, you're hacking back and forth diagonally with the rake to effectively move the gravel. Then, I would pile the gravel up intp small piles, so I could use the flat shovel to pitch it back up onto the side of the road. HASSLE! Now, I can use the Stihl FS85, and simply move the gravel quickly and effectively UP the ditch and onto the shoulder with one cean stroke - the first time. Simple, and unbelievabally fast. This is done completely clean with NO damage to the turf whatsoever. This unit is also great for moving other materials also. Some materials that are even difficult to move otherwise. (i.e. rotten fruit).

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 02-23-2002, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think I may check into that sweeper for the trimmer, we have a big pear tree in our backyard and it makes a big mess when they start dropping.

Hank
Old 02-23-2002, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have some here!!!

I've got a few RedMax left!!!

Click here to see!!!