Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2002, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

part time dilemmas

thank you again to everyone who has helped out on my two previous questions. Everyone here has been so helpful. i have learned a tremendous amount and have only been a member here a few days! my next question is, i will be starting up my business this year. mostly weekly maintenance to start off with. i have worked for 3 landscaping companies previously. right now i am in the advertising field. i will be mowing lawns after work and when i can on the weekends. if i pick up the customer base how did everyone handle the work if they only worked part time? when do i say enough and handle MY BUSINESS full time? i mind someone else's business all day and now its time to mind MINE! i want to make a professional showing to my customers and i dont want them to think i am unreliable or unprofessional showing up on diffrent days or times. can anyone assist me with scheduling? i know someone here must have started part time and understands how i feel!!! thanks to everyone in advance!
Old 02-23-2002, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I started out at age 17 (about 7 years ago)... I worked on Saturday's and Sunday's mowing while going to college full time... my customers were understanding and didn't mind me working on those days... when I decided to go full-time.. I had so much work lined up that I would be working everyday + saturday's and thats when I knew that it was time to go full time. However, i had all the accounts lined up before the season, (feb, mar, april) so i knew that I had a full schedule for the upcoming season and would generate enough income to grow and pay the bills. hope that helps
Old 02-24-2002, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in the same spot Robert.....

I will be moving to a new market this spring....one with a spring, the one I am currently in has only one season...hot. I own a successful lawn sprinkler business here and will be managing it from afar.....that is a whole nother thread.....

Anyway, I will make enough to live on but I want to start up something new where I am going. So I too will probably start mowing.....I am going to mow perhaps 1 lawn per day during the week only in order to make some extra money. Who knows I may even start out as a lowballer!

I would be interested in hearing the advice for you so I can apply it to me. Thanks for asking the question!!
Old 02-24-2002, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
[SprinklerGuy] I am going to mow perhaps 1 lawn per day during the week only in order to make some extra money. Who knows I may even start out as a lowballer!
WOW!!! 1 lawn a day, after taxes, fuel, insurance, equiptment costs, (if you will be ligit). There won`t be much for your pocket. First off, get a good commerecial mower, with the biggest deck you can use on propereties. Take all the 1 a day jobs and put them together and do all of them in a day. Less gas, etc. costs, and more money in your pocket.
However many jobs you start out with do quality work, for a fair price and the referrals will be comming in. Also it is not a good idea about going lower on jobs just to get them, people will refer you to others and they will be expecting a low rate also, then you will have a hard time getting what you need to make when the biz starts growing.
Good luck, you have been in the biz of making the lawns get watered properly, now you will see the results, and work involved to get them cut.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Just do it

I would seriously suggest going out on your own immediately. I hope you have enough to do by yourself to make it a go. Don't secong guess yourself. If you can see yourself in this buisness, go balls out. If you don't think you know enough, you've got lawnsite and you've got peopple in the buisness in your area. I think you'll be o.k. You allready ask questions. That's a good start. It shows you're not afraid. How many accounts do you have? Do you have enough equipment?