Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-13-2008, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Measuring cup question from a newbie

I am looking into stepping into the pesticide business by reading all these great posts. One thing I can't figure out is what kind of measuring cup do you use to add the pesticide to the tank and how do you prevent cross contaminating different pesticides. Example, I don't want to pour Roundup in the same measuring cup as I use for speedzone.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can use just about any measuring cup you want. The biggest thing to remember is as soon as you buy a cup for chems, write PESTICIDE ONLY with a permanent marker or find some way to mark it so you don't use it in the kitchen by mistake (it could happen-don't risk it).

As far as the contamination, as you fill your tank triple rinse (or more) your measuring cup and add it to the tank. If you are still uncomfortable, use a little tank cleaner in the cup, but don't add it to the tank.
Sub-contract Aerifying available too
Old 04-13-2008, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Measuring cups are cheap. We use tip and pours for each different chem we may use. For filling our mixing tanks we will use larger graduated bucket clearly marked with the pesticide it's ONLY used for. Eliminate any room for error and someone making a costly mistake. In some cases this probably is overkill as most of the chems we use and their residues won't pose much of a problem if they were mixed or measured in the same measuring container. Chemicals like round-up, or soil sterilents really need a separate measuring cup to be safe.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I rinse out my measuring cups into the tank as I am filling. The last thing I add is usually some nonionic surfactant(aka detergent) so the cup is being washed after I used it for a herbicide. Round up is completely water soluble, I do not worry as long as the cup is rinsed into the sprayer. Most of the bare ground chemicals I use are DF, if there is no more white powder, it is not there.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Greendoctor, I was taught to put in the surfactant first and then add the chemical. Fill about 75% with water, then surfactant then chemical. I know there are 100 ways to do things but what is correct?

Not starting anything just looking to see what the general consensus is.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That actually is a good idea if you are trying to put wettable powders in solution. I do that if I am trying to put a powder in solution. It causes the powder to sink and mix better. For liquid concentrates, surfactants go in last. That is what I read on all of the labels. For the DF soluble granules it is the same too, surfactant goes in after the granules are dissolved.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am not stating this to be a smart azz or to start anything. Everyone needs to read THEIR label.

Just got a new bottle of Drexel AMS-Supreme(with defoamer and ammonium sulfate).

Directions on this bottle are:
1.This product
2.Additional ammonium sulfate(if needed)
3.Dry flowables, dispersible granules, WSPs (water soluble packets)
4.Flowables
5.Water-soluble herbicides
6.Emulsifiable Concentrate
7.Finish adding water to final volume

I guess different labels have different specs. Just make sure whatever you are spraying you read THAT label and follow IT however it states. Same as Weed-N-Feed, put it down when wet, don't water. While straight fertilizer, put it down when dry, then water.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutterstan View Post
I am looking into stepping into the pesticide business by reading all these great posts. One thing I can't figure out is what kind of measuring cup do you use to add the pesticide to the tank and how do you prevent cross contaminating different pesticides. Example, I don't want to pour Roundup in the same measuring cup as I use for speedzone.
Stan,

I always use a permanant marker on the "Herbicides Only" Measuring Cups. Unmarked Mes cups I use for insect,fert,fungicides, ect.

Herbicides only..... even on any 1 or 2.5 gal jugs you use for spray solution.

This will help avoid serious damage, by forgrtting what cup is what.

Pete