Register free!

Old 04-06-2008, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another thought: I used the 0-0-7.21 Dimension in Tn. The lawns are beautiful, think and green. In SC I used the same stuff at half-rate for the centipede. Would that be of any concern. I used the same Dimension last year on the centipede but was older grass and no problem just like this year. I was sorta thinking that maybe the .21 could have been a little too strong for the new sod. Any thoughts?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

turfdoctor:
I spoke with another long timer on centipede. He said that with the lower lows that we had in SC a little earlier after the warm up in Feb. that he had seen centipede do the yellowing and would dissapear when the ground WARMED up. Could be that the new sod had not settled into the new dirt. Any such stuff in Hawaii?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

On the rare times when it does not get up to 80 in the day and there is little to no sunlight for a week or more, I see yellowing in all grasses. It is most pronounced in centipede, bermuda and zoysia. Of course the centipede and zoysia are the last to grow out of it when it happens. When it rained almost all month in January and it was cool, everyone's lawn looked like hell. But, mine were the first to green up once the sun came out.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know much about Centipede, as i have St. Auggie and Zoysia growing here in the "sand" at the Va/Nc line. Before I moved onto this cursed 5 acres, I thought I was the sh** with St. Augustine. I had transplanted and cared for alot of yards in the surrounding cities. Anyway, I started getting Bartlett Tree and Shrub to take soil samples every year. OMG, everything was out of wack. Also, with all the sandy soil, everything leeches straight thru. Well, I thought I was getting a handle on it, when last year a couple yellow splotches showed up in what had been an awesome carpet of Auggie the year before. Couldn't figure it out. Tried this and that on different spots. Nothing fixed it. Got soil samples back a couple months ago, and the PH has been creeping up yearly, to where it's almost 8 on the Auggie, and a bit over 8 on the zoysia. WTF?? Well, I have a 600 foot well, and talking to some area old timers found out that the water comes up thru limestone. Duh.
So, everytime I am irrigating, I'm spraying lime water on it, thus raising the ph. So, I googled a bit, and found articles saying that if your ph creeps up too much, you will start seeing a yellowing. Could that be your centipede problem? The Bartlett guy said lack of rainfall can also raise ph. So, I dumped some sulphur pellets on it. But, I understand that it's much easier to raise the ph, than to bring it down. I guess I will be sulphuring atleast once a year now, to get the ph down. Would any of you guys know how long after you put down elemental sulphur before it starts visibly correcting the problem? I have a bad feeling that I'm stuck with the yellow for the whole upcoming season. Also, I read where Ammonium Sulfate will lower ph more quickly, but then you have to be careful with your fert apps.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What you are more than likely seeing is tha actual stress being put on the grass itself from the Dimension, I see it all the time in lawns with Poa in areas after the app you will start to see yellowing of the Poa almost like bleaching, and dimension will do this to other grasses at times at the higher rates and with granular at the higher rates I've experienced it most when doing early morning Dewey apps and the day ends up becoming warm.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would do soil test or check and ph .I am just gonna quess .mystery anarobic dirt spread out .sod laid,then pounded with 1-1-1 starter ,high ph and high P level tying up iron and manganese, compounded with a little pre M .Just a quess .