Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-18-2008, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Ferris 4500z diesel oil leak

After researching ztr's for the last couple of years, I came across this ferris with 350 hrs that I couldn't pass up. I was especially pleased with the 28 hp cat (Perkins) diesel, plenty of power, quiet and I can feed it off road diesel along with the rest of my farm equipment. The PO treated it well and it came with the usual owners manuals. The only problem is the engine oil leak I have tried to show in the picture of the right rear side underneath the air filter. Its definitely engine oil, and is puddled on top of the right hydraulic pump. I suspect this has to do with mowing ditch banks since its not a static leak. It appears to be coming from the main seal behind the flywheel, or an unseen breather in the area. Since the left side of the mower is clean, I suspect the ccw crankshaft rotation is slinging oil from a leaking main seal. I've found nothing on the web about such a leak, and I cant believe this engine wont handle mowing a ditch bank. By the way, were not talking steep angles here, maybe 15 degrees at the most. Unable to find a detailed parts diagram to unravel this mystery, I wonder- anyone else have experience with a leak like this?

Thanks,
Frank
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, it was the rear main seal. No obvious damage to the seal, and the shaft looked brand new. Perkins tells me the engine is rated to 35 degrees fore and aft, left and right. In any event, the seal was easy to r/r, and the local cat dealer had it in stock. Anyone needs more info, I'll be happy to help.