Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-28-2002, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Best day of week to hand out fliers?

What is the best day of the week to hand out fliers? I mean, going door to door and introducing myself and talking to people not just hanging alittle sack on the door. Not weekends and not Monday, but Friday doesn't seem like a good day either cause they're so tired that they don't wanna mess with anyone or any contracts, just get on with the weekend and resting. Don't mess with them on the weekend cause they're too busy trying to relax and disturbing them would not be very helpful, but well I just can not decide. What's your opinions?
Eric
Old 02-28-2002, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That would leave Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday....I would go for Thursday myself.

MATT
Old 02-28-2002, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I need the answer!

I was going to ask the same thing. I have been trying to decide what day and what time. If I put it out to early in the morning they may just take it to work or leave it in the car. In the afternoon the kids might get home before mom and dad and rip it off the door. I have no Idea what day is best to put out flyers. Just know that I do them whenever I can.

Jason
Old 02-28-2002, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Based on your assumptions, you can make an argument for all days being bad. You not going to catch anymore at home on tuesday as you would on monday. If you don't care to talk with them, do it anyday of the week, or better yet, everyday during the week until you get a full schedule. If you want to talk with them, saturday is the only day that most people are home. I would suggest leaving people alone on sunday.
Old 02-28-2002, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think anyone wants someone to come to the door to talk with them. I don't. I also don't like telemarketers. Do you? In fact some cities have laws against it. Check with yours. I plan on just leaving a doorhanger and if they call I will return.
Old 02-28-2002, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Well if you went to the door and talked to them it would give them a "face to match the name" so to speak. They would be able to tell that I care enough to take the time to talk to them instead of just littering their property with stuff they'll trash anyhow. Gives me a chance to get my foot in the door you know? Also gives me a chance to see if i wanna deal with so and so or not. MAKE CONNECTIONS!!! Like the others said though, what is best time of day? I may settle for Saturday. I dunno... any more ideas? thanks,
Eric
ps it may seem like i don't appreciate the info you have given by contradicting it but i am just trying to "discuss" possibilities here.
Thanks a lot really!:blob4:
Old 02-28-2002, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I find some people home any day of the week. But more are home on Saturday or Sunday. If you are not there when they are there then guess what? You dont get to talk to them. You had better start going when they are home if you want to catch them. Or bring plenty of door hangers like I do and leave as many as possible.
Old 02-28-2002, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Like 65HOSS said...do nothing on Sunday but love your girfriend/wife/ and your dog...people want to chill on Sunday..from a consumer standpoint i hate it when anyone comes on my property and wants to talk to me..but i have no problem with them handing me a flier if I'm outside...or hang it on the door..that way if i want to chat i can..if i dont i thank them and read the flier...from a businessowner viewpoint , evenings and Saturday allow you to meet those that want to chat..this will allow your radiant personality to shine through and them get to know you a bit...underneath most people are generally friendly...unless you approach them too aggressively...let THEM open the door to conversation
Old 03-01-2002, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with Kitzy...let them open the door to conversation. If you go during the evenings after they get home from work some people aren't going to be in the best of moods. If you start pushing lawn care on them they might not be real friendly. I have always just left flyers myself, but if someone is outside I will talk to them. I usually just give them a flyer and tell them I am distributing flyers in their neighboorhodd for lawn care...here you go. If they want to talk about then they will. The only thing I don't like is when you get the ones who want to talk your ear off for 20 minutes about everything and they still don't sign up for lawn care!
Good luck!
Old 03-01-2002, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

SATURDAY