Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2002, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

99f150XL 4wd..29,000 miles $14,500..your opinion?

Only pulling 3000 pounds...14ft trailer....plain jane..no power wndows/locks ..its a basic white work truck..very clean.. hard to find a clean low mileage used truck..would like your gut reaction to the deal..avg retail at nada, kelleysbluebook and edmunds is about $16..I dont think I need KY on this one like I did on the trailer..lol

thanks
Old 02-26-2002, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The used vehicle market is saturated since automakers offered 0 percent financing awhile back. Perhaps you should look at offering 12,000. Start low you can also go up.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I thought it was saturated too....for the last 5 weeks I've been trying to find a decent used truck without high mileage or came from the auto auction...they have been few and far between at least here in PA....
Old 02-27-2002, 03:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Spend the extra $$ and get a 3/4 ton bigger brakes, axle everything is just bigger and will last alot longer than a 1/2 ton. What kind of motor? I just bought a 2000 f-250 V8 XL with 28,000 mi for a little over $17,000. The extra $$ for the 3/4 will be well worth it in the end trust me.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Scagman..its the small v8... in doing the search I know many of you extolled the benefits of the 3/4 ton...and frankly if I could find one that is not beat to s--- I'd jump on it....but i'm running out of time ...3/4's just don't show up that often here in central PA....and since I don't want any part of an auction car my choices are more limited. Did you buy yours from a new car dealer? How did the dealer come to get the 250? thanks much

by the way every new and used dealer I talk to along with every trailer company and dealer keep telling me there is absolutely no problem with a 150 given my usage..I hear what you are saying but I also hear what they are saying...only hauling one lazerhp52 on a 14ft with some misc tools...its rated to pull 5800 and I'm at 3000 at the most

I'm about ready to just go buy a darn new 250 but my wife will pack her suitcase if I do....hmmmmm...lol
Old 02-27-2002, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, if the truck is clean and it seems to you like a good deal, get it. You know your market and what's available out there so if you think you want it then get it. Good deals on vehicles are only good if they're available to you. If this is what's around you your choices may be limited at the time. You seem to know what you are pulling and it should work fine. 1/2 tons are pretty decent for pulling around 3000 and 4000 pounds worth of trailer and weight. Sure, a 3/4 ton would be better, if you needed the extra size, but you don't. So all that would come from that is larger repair bills when it comes time to fixing it. Then why not a one ton? You gotta stop somewhere. Hell, I have a 3/4 ton but need a one ton. Hard to stay ahead of the game.
Old 02-28-2002, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought my 2000 F-250 XL at a Ford dealership, you are right about 3/4 used work trucks being kinda rare. I was in the same position as you were 2 weeks ago. I was at a used dealer about to buy a 1997 F-150 XLT 302 V8 reg cab 63,000 mi @ $10,999. I needed a truck bad, but I bailed out of the deal at the last second and im so glad I did. I waited a couple weeks lookin at Auto guides, dealerships then I found my truck. I thought the 302 was a bit slugish and also heard a big 300 six will out torqe it and outlast it. I will also say that all that pretty interior is gonna get dirty and stained. If I were you I would buy a F-150 XL with the 300 six, rubber floors, and a vinyl bench. I see these all over, you shouldnt have a problem finding one and you will spend alot less on a truck that suits your needs. Dont forget its a work truck!
Old 02-28-2002, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nevermind I was too lazy and I thought you were looking at the XLT, disregard everything about my advice on buying an XL. Sounds good Id buy seems like a good price. Treat that truck good maintenance wise and it will take care of you. Dont work that little V8 too hard hi revs will kill that thing.
Old 03-01-2002, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get a Powerstroke on ebay. You can get one w/ 70,000 for about $15,000. These truck will last twice as long as the one you are driving and will hold there value better too. And this is for one that is extended cab XLT. Plus, you will LOOK better pulling your trailer. You would have to shoot me before I bought a truck from a dealer or used car lot. There is just as much risk from a used car lot as ebay. Do you trust salesman? Heck, I take test drives just to piss them off, b/c they have no idea WHAT they are talking about!!