Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2008, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lawn problems

I was just out at my uncle's house today trying to start fixing his lawn problem. There are a two areas of his lawn that are very bad. 1 area has been re-sodded two times but continues to die. The other part just started to look bad this year. He has had tru-green out and of coarse not happy at all with them. He also had a smaller company out. Neither company was able to fix the problem. I already know he has mole issues so I put a repellent on the lawn that I know works. I also put on a disease control product to see if that helps. I am out of ideas and have no idea what is causing this problem. My uncle is on sand but waters frequently as he has irrigation. I will be sending in a soil sample for testing this week. I know the pictures aren't great but maybe they can help, I couldn't get them any farther away do to the size limit. Any ideas of what I can do to fix this problem? I am not yet a certified applicator yet so some products might be out of my league for a couple more months. Plz, any help would be great. Thanks!!!
Attached Images

John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-30-2008, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How many hours of sun per day? Could be a shade problem? Tree roots under the grass pull a lot of moisture out of soil during late summer dry spells. Don't lay sod in shade--it needs full sun--it will not transition to shade. My bluegrass doesn't look so hot either. Probably combined with snow mold damage or winter kill due to snow.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think it does get quite a bit of sun. I think the only times it really doesn't get sun is during sunrise and during sunset. As for time it has sun from about 9:00 am to 6:00 pm during the spring and summer time but I can't be too positive on that. Any other thoughts?
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-30-2008, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
I was just out at my uncle's house today trying to start fixing his lawn problem. There are a two areas of his lawn that are very bad. 1 area has been re-sodded two times but continues to die. The other part just started to look bad this year. He has had tru-green out and of coarse not happy at all with them. He also had a smaller company out. Neither company was able to fix the problem. I already know he has mole issues so I put a repellent on the lawn that I know works. I also put on a disease control product to see if that helps. I am out of ideas and have no idea what is causing this problem. My uncle is on sand but waters frequently as he has irrigation. I will be sending in a soil sample for testing this week. I know the pictures aren't great but maybe they can help, I couldn't get them any farther away do to the size limit. Any ideas of what I can do to fix this problem? I am not yet a certified applicator yet so some products might be out of my league for a couple more months. Plz, any help would be great. Thanks!!!
Hold off on the disease controls unless you know what the problem is. Diagnosing the problem is difficult if the disease is no longer active or the damage occurred last season. Some areas of Michigan saw a extended drought last year. Are the sprinklers covering the area well? Did you check for insects? When did the damage occur? Spring, summer .......???? Most of the time problems like this are insect or drought related. You may ask your uncle if the sod was ever rooted well to begin with. Noticed a lot of weeds in the area too. Was the lawn being serviced last season? Did anybody give any indication of a problem? You might also stick a probe down in the soil in that area and check for anything buried there. You would be surprised what builders bury sometimes. Hope this gives you some help.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm leading towards winter kill, maybe some vole damage, desication seems pretty popular after this winter.
Just some places to start....I would personaly to a heavy dethatching/overseeding spring and fall

Most of the area's lawn care companies shutter at innovation and technology...I like it!
Old 05-01-2008, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

He had TG out this spring? Doesn't look like it. Call them back and demand a free service call. Keep calling them back every 21 days. Not 20, not 22. Keep it up all summer until your happy. You can get service for free that way. Save all the literature and watch what they do and what they use and learn what you could do better
Old 05-01-2008, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
I think it does get quite a bit of sun. I think the only times it really doesn't get sun is during sunrise and during sunset. As for time it has sun from about 9:00 am to 6:00 pm during the spring and summer time but I can't be too positive on that. Any other thoughts?
I'd double check this !

Those 1st two pictures you posted just reak of "turf that's lacking proper wavelengths of light...light that's largely being STOLEN by tree branches !

Maybe down-the-road your uncle can do some 'thinning' along that wood's edge...but in such a way as to not ruin the overall shade-effect, of course.

Also...the sparse-looking (bluegrass?) sod in these areas can be slice-seeded with some more shade-tolerant species of grass in the fall; including ones like hard fescue, creeping red fescue, and even a fair amount of turf type tall fescue.