Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2002, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Poor Soul Got Taken Today

I was at an auction today (raining) and there was an encore prowler for sale....started it up and tested it out......I found something funny feeling in the hydrolics on the right side.....barking brake was worn slap out......and bearings were gone in the deck oh yeah and cant forget the broken weld or poor welds on the front axle..... After observing this and being the only professional i saw at the sale i evaluated the value of this machine with only 126 hours to be about a grand when you consider the thing new is only about 7000 and the repair bill will be about 2200(speaking from experience with encores). Well when bids came up I dropped out and the thing went to someone for 3000.. Now a hustler, dixie chopper, exmark...I'd expect to pay 3/4 price but i felt bad for the guy who thought he got a deal cause he bought himself headaches especially if he doesnt know anything about these mowers.... /thought somebody might be interested or ever have bought something where you knew you were getting a deal but ended up with a real junker?
Old 03-02-2002, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rebel... dont mean to go too far off topic here. What is your opinion of Encore's. I got a dealer local that offers great service and he is a Scag / Encore guy. He praised Encore and I am not sure if it is because his margins are better or the machine is really pretty comparable. Your thoughts are appreciated. Sorry to digress.

jf
Old 03-02-2002, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's what makes auctions so fun. You might get a great deal or you might take it in the shorts. Unfortunately I've been on both ends. Last year a guy paid $1800 for a used Ryan aerator. It was the first one to go with about 10 right behind it. The next one went for around $500. As you could imagine there was a few chuckles in the crowd. The rest of the used aerators sold for under $700 that day. It was great, for once at an auction everyone had a smile on their face. Well except one person.
Old 03-02-2002, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: The Hottest driest city next to Hades - Denver Colorado
I'm not sure what to say about a guy paying 1800 for a used Ryan, a 4? Guess thats why I like selling my used equipment & buying new.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

bad deal

what a bad deal,

only 126 hours on the machine, whoever baught that machine new, had now sence being in the lawn care industry. I serious, from what it sounds like, the person(s) tore that encore up pretty good. I'd hate to see what his other equipment is like, probabbly going down hill as well. please excuse me, but that's like buying a new truck, running the heck out of it, never changing the oil, and the engine seizes up after 20, 000.00 miles. sad to say, but there are people out there like that.

I personally like encore mowers. ran a few 36', 48" and a 52" hydro. only thing i don't like about them is the parking brake system, they stick to often and if ya not careful, it'll get loss on ya and cause some real damage. A few years ago, I had a good friend have his brake system come loss and that machine went around so fast that it ran straightt hrough someone's garage door, and a few minutes later, it happened to the other guy working with him on another encore unit, that one ran into the side of the customes parked car and tore there fence down. Man I never had seen an ex marine cry like he did, it was one of those days where ya just wanted to leave everything there, go home and go back in a few days. what a mess that was. thank goodness for insurance.

my figuring is that if ya got to put a lot of time into a machine to get it to work, it's sure not worth my time. one word MAINTENANCE.

your friend in the wild west

Richard Coffman/owner
Special Needs Lawn Services
Old 03-04-2002, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seen it happen a few times. People get caught up in the
moment and get carried away. Seen some people pay more
than retail new price for old stuff at auction. Stupid.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with Southside!

I went to an auction once that was selling stuff that was in storage that had not paid their storage fees. One guy had a bunch of budweiser collectables. People were going nuts. I remember a Budweiser chess set that sold for $50. I went home an looked it up in a recent Budweiser catalog and the chess set sold for $25 new. The same was true at a plant and shrub auction. I worked for an auction house for 5 years, seen a lot of people make a lot of mistakes. Seen a lot of good deals too good to be true also!

MATT

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci