Register free!

Old 05-05-2008, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Help with ground cover

Hi, I could use some advise on how to handle this. I am a licensed applicator but have never done anything like this before. I have a client who has a section filled with ground ivy and wild honeysuckle. They want all ground cover killed. However there are 3 bayberry trees in with the ground cover that they want to keep. They want the area mulched after all the ground cover is killed. If I can figure out how to post a pic with this I will.So I guess what I need is advise on how to kill this stuff while saving the trees and make sure that it dosent come back up through the mulch. Thank you very much!!!!!
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2008, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Having a pool myself I would talk them into stone with a weed barrier instead of mulch. One good wind and the pool will be a mess. Red stone is real nice. I dont know about killing the stuff, maybe glyphosate.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I did forget to mention that the mulch was just temporary. They are going to be adding on to their garage, and they will be going with stone. I did think of using Quick pro on it, but figured the ivy would find it's way up through the mulch. Thanks again!!!
Old 05-05-2008, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Can the trees be covered with a trash bag or other plastic? Remember, glyphosphate kills vegetation by entering through the green foliage of the plant, not the soil or roots. Completely cover your desireable plants and spray. Then immediately remove the plastic and wait.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You shouldn't have to cover the desirable plants. A good applicator should not have any problem keeping the spray on target as long as the wind isn't too strong. If you cover a plant with a plastic bag and get spray all over it there is a good chance the spray will drip onto the plant as you are pulling the bag off. As long as the weeds are actively growing Roundup will do a pretty good job of killing everything. Use the higher recommended dosage.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You're saying you shouldn't worry about getting drift on the desireable plants but then say it will get all over the plastic?

I think with that much spraying, erring on the side of caution is best.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnspecialties View Post
Can the trees be covered with a trash bag or other plastic? Remember, glyphosphate kills vegetation by entering through the green foliage of the plant, not the soil or roots. Completely cover your desireable plants and spray. Then immediately remove the plastic and wait.
Thanks to all who have replyied! If I do use the Round up Quik-Pro, won't it kill off the vegitation for a short time. How can I forever more rid the area of this stuff? It seems to be pretty tough stuff!!