Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-06-2008, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Member

New House

I have been reading this forum for a few months, and think it's great. Please be easy on me if my questions seem remedial.

We just purchsed a house, and before the house we lived in condos and apt's. I have never really had to take care of a lawn. The house we purchased has a lawn that looks terrible. The entire front section between the sidewalk and street (4' x40') is almost entirely Chickweed.

The main section of the front yard (40' x60') has Purple bells, purple lilacs, chickweed, and crabgrass.

The back yard (65' x 45') has clovers here and there and chickweed in places. I have eliminated most of the clover with Weed B Gone Max int he back yard.

I was looking into fertilizing with a weed and feed around memorial day. What type of weed and feed would you recommend? I have a Lesco about .5 miles away from my house. I used the Scotts Weed and Feed and Fertilized int he morning when there was still dew on the ground, but didn't really see any results.

Should I try to treat the Weeds with Weed B Gone or a Weed and Feed Fertilizer? I am just trying to figure out the path I should take.

The Grass is mostly Blue Grass with a small amount of fescue and rye mixed into it.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 05-06-2008, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One of the northern guys can help you better with the specifics but nice to see that you took the effort to identify the weeds and grasses...the correct first step in solving the problem and more interesting for "us" to read. The 20 questions game we have to play after the, "I got weeds, what do I spray" posts, get tiresome.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

You will get much better results by spraying the weeds. I gave up on weed and feed years ago. If you have a Tractor Supply store near you they sell Speedzone and it works very well for me.
http://www.pbigordon.com/homefarm/lawncare_weed.php
Old 05-07-2008, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwpower44 View Post
The main section of the front yard (40' x60') has Purple bells, purple lilacs, chickweed, and crabgrass.
Hi Mike,

I can't help you with the weed and chemical stuff as I don't use it, but if your lilac is in the lawn and not a garden bed, try and have a mulch ring around the base at least 12" out from the outer edge of the shrub base. Lilacs won't flower well if you fertilize your lawn, especially if you use synthetics. If you have tested the pH of your soil and it's a bit on the acid side, scratch a cup of lime into the soil around your lilac. They prefer a more alkaline soil and will flower better for you that way.

Newt
Old 05-07-2008, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I will try to remove the lilac when I get back from vacation next week. It looks really stupid in the lawn. I am also going to talk to the local Lesco and see what they would recommend. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwpower44 View Post
I will try to remove the lilac when I get back from vacation next week. It looks really stupid in the lawn. Thanks.
You are very welcome! Are you going to transplant it or dispose of it?

Newt
Old 05-07-2008, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

We will Dispose of the lilac and plant grass.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for letting me know. Lilacs are a favorite of mine, that's why I asked.

Good luck with the lawn.

Newt
Old 05-08-2008, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt* View Post
Hi Mike,

I can't help you with the weed and chemical stuff as I don't use it, but if your lilac is in the lawn and not a garden bed, try and have a mulch ring around the base at least 12" out from the outer edge of the shrub base. Lilacs won't flower well if you fertilize your lawn, especially if you use synthetics. If you have tested the pH of your soil and it's a bit on the acid side, scratch a cup of lime into the soil around your lilac. They prefer a more alkaline soil and will flower better for you that way.

Newt
Can a lilac tell the difference between a synthetic fertilizer vs an organic based fertilizer?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlg View Post
Can a lilac tell the difference between a synthetic fertilizer vs an organic based fertilizer?
Yes, and all the lilacs relatives that are plants. Synthetic fertilizers are like sterioids for your plants. They feed the plant and not the soil. That causes lush growth that can attract insect pests. Synthetics leave behind residual salts which organics don't. Synthetics don't contain trace minerals and organics do. You should find this informative.
http://www.agreauxorganics.com/fertilizer.html
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=131

Newt