Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-06-2002, 04:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Trailer Light Problems

I HAVE A 99 CHEVY 3/4TON 4X4. IT HAS INDEPENDENT LIGHTING(2 BULBS, ONE FOR BLINKER ONE FOR BRAKES AND TAIL LAMP). I HAVE A 6X10 UTILITY TRAILER WITH SINGLE BULB TAIL LIGHTS. MY PROBLEM IS, I CAN'T GET THE TRAILER LIGHTS TO WORK. I WAS TOLD THAT I NEED SOME TYPE OF ADAPTER.

MY TRUCK HAS A ROUND 6 PRONG INLET AND I HAVE A CONVERTER FOR THE TRAILER PLUG.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

KB LAWN SERVICE
CENTRAL TEXAS
Old 03-06-2002, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

did these lights work in the past, or is this a new setup? if they used to work, maybe you just have a loose wire, or bad fuse. check the fuses first. im just guessing, but you might have a trailer relay fuse in a box under the hood. we run dodges, and they have fus box under hood as well as in the cab. for a chevy, im not so sure. after checking that, and all fuses are good or replaced, check the lights to see if they work.
then if no lights,see if you have a ground on the trailer lights. if so, and you still have no lights, you need to figure out the wiring for the plug on the truck.

if you already have a wiring diagram, great. if not, you will need a test light to design your own wiring diagram for the truck. to do this, get a good ground on the test light, turn on each light on the truc individually, (tailights, brakes, left signal, right signal, ground) and figure out which is which. you can do this by opening up the plug and checking the wires where they screw into the plug. after that, you can begin working on the trailer lights.

you say you have a six prong truck plug, so im guessing that the trailer has a four(4) prong?

easiest way to do this i have found, is to cut off the old trailer harness plug, and check each wire individually until you figure out which wire would hook up to the truck wires accordingly diagram that, and rewire to the new plug.

i hope this helps with your dilemna some. if you have any more questions after reading this, or while you try to figure out wiring ask away.

good luck,

kevin
Old 03-06-2002, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

TRAILER LIGHTS

OHIOLAWNGUY,

THE TRAILER LIGHTS SHOULD WORK. I JUST GOT THIS TRUCK IN DEC 01 AND THE PROBS W/LIGHTS STARTED. I REPLACED ALL THE TRAILER WIRE. I WILL CHECK THE FUSES ETC. AND GO FROM THERE. I WON'T BE ABLE TO GET AROUND TO IT TILL NEXT WEEK, BUT I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF IT WORKED.

THANK YOU MUCH

KB LAWN SERVICE
CEN. TEXAS
Old 03-06-2002, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The adapter you mention is used for vehicles set up like your truck with separate turn signal/brake light bulbs to run trailer lights that use the same bulb for turn/brake. Basically, one side of the adapter box connects to the appropriate wires on your truck's harness while the other side goes to the trailer plug.

Now, you mention that your truck already has a 6-pin plug on it. Do you know if it was on there when the truck was built, or added later? I'm not familiar enough with the newer trucks to tell you how they are wired up from the factory for a trailer plug, whether they require the adapter box or if one is already in place when built.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

trailer lights fixed

Hey guys, just wanted to let you all know that the lights are now working. It was the fuse. Pretty stupid of me, guess that should have been the first thing I checked.

P.S. I was informed by a private message that typing in all caps was inappropiate. I apalogize, but let me explain. First this forum stuff is new to me, and i had no idea. Also I have been a police officer for 4years and 'ALL CAPS" is how our records clerk likes us to type our reports, and third, remember everything is bigger in TX. Thank you all for your help. I owe you one!!!

Kevin Bender
KB LAWN SERVICE
Central TX
Old 03-08-2002, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good to hear the lights are working now. BTW, I have a feeling anyone who says they have never overlooked a blown fuse as a posible cause at least once in their life is lying...........................I know it's happened to me.

Regarding the "all-caps" and how they are the keyboard equivalent of YELLING , maybe the records clerk is hard of hearing?
Old 03-08-2002, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My dad's a cop and always complains about the all caps reports, so go figure..
Old 03-08-2002, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

glad to hear the lights are working again.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Re: trailer lights fixed

Quote:
Originally posted by LAWnENFORCER
Hey guys, just wanted to let you all know that the lights are now working. It was the fuse. Pretty stupid of me, guess that should have been the first thing I checked.
Don't feel bad. My friend complained to me how his electric drill wouldn't drill through anything. He thought that is was just a bad product. I told him that his drill bit was probably dull. Turns out, he's had the thing in reverse the past few times that he went to use it!

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!