Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-22-2008, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Demoed a Hustler Super Z today--Wow!!

I've become friends with Lawnsite member "puppypaws" through PMs and email and today I visited his farm. He offered to let me try out his Hustler Super Z (66" Kohler 28hp EFI) and he'd try out my Ferris IS1500 (48" Kaw 21hp). These are not comparable mowers as far as size and power, but that's what we had to swap with each other for an hour or two.

The Hustler Super Z is amazing. I didn't really think you could mow grass at 15 mph and be comfortable and get a clean cut. The Hustler does it. It's more comfortable to operate than my Ferris. The Flex Forks and Flex suspension seat combined with SmoothTrak steering makes for a very enjoyable machine. I couldn't believe how it felt like the mower just floated over the ground. I asked Mr. Reid if the mower handled that well from day one or if it had loosened up some in 350 hrs of operation and he said it had always been that easy to handle.

The cut quality is excellent. I'm not sure what type of grass we were cutting, but it was in decent shape. It wasn't manicured, but it wasn't a weedy field. I would expect a few straggling weeds, especially cutting at 15 mph, but there were none. The XR-7 deck with Fusion blades leaves a flawless cut at any speed.

The engine on his mower is the 28hp Kohler EFI. It handled the grass well and sped up hills without bogging much. In really heavy grass, the RPMs did drop off a little bit more than I would have liked, but the cut quality was still just as good. I think 30-32hp would really be great on a mower this size, but the 28 gets the job done. Being EFI, there is no choke and the engine cranks instantly. I asked Mr. Reid what the fuel economy was like and he said he had tested it and it came to .93 gallons per hour. Considering you can mow 7+ acres of open land in that hour, that is fabulous.

Overall, I was very impressed with the Hustler Super Z. Amazing speed, comfortable ride and handling, and good fuel economy with enough power to get the job done. I want one!!!

www.tomberlawn.com
Old 05-23-2008, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just played with some numbers to see how much more efficient a Hustler 60" EFI would be over a slower, carb mower. Here are some theoretical numbers for comparison.

12mph 60", 80% efficiency, 1.1gph = 5.289 acres/gallon

15mph 60", 80% efficiency, .9gph = 7.8 acres/gallon

The Hustler cuts 2.5 acres more per gallon of fuel. Of course, real world conditions won't be this ideal, but this is a point of comparison.

www.tomberlawn.com
Old 05-23-2008, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Hustlers are great machines I am glade you enjoyed it. I have a 60" Super Z and it is the best mower that I have owned.. and I have own Scag, Dixie, and J.D.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I just bought a new Exmark but i may be picking up some Hustlers in the near future.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Member

I feel the same way about my super z, it is by far the baddest mower I have ever owned or operated. I have Scag,JD,and Exmark, and I am sure the super z would eat all of them alive and keep on cuttin!! I just got it back from a hydro replacement at 750hrs,and have noticed an extreme increase in productivity with it back on the force. I accually called and priced another new one to replace that shatty JD 757, Oh by the way mine is a 66" with a 30hp kohler. One grass cuttin bad a** machine, GO GET ONE!!!!!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomberLawn View Post
I've become friends with Lawnsite member "puppypaws" through PMs and email and today I visited his farm. He offered to let me try out his Hustler Super Z (66" Kohler 28hp EFI) and he'd try out my Ferris IS1500 (48" Kaw 21hp). These are not comparable mowers as far as size and power, but that's what we had to swap with each other for an hour or two.

The Hustler Super Z is amazing. I didn't really think you could mow grass at 15 mph and be comfortable and get a clean cut. The Hustler does it. It's more comfortable to operate than my Ferris. The Flex Forks and Flex suspension seat combined with SmoothTrak steering makes for a very enjoyable machine. I couldn't believe how it felt like the mower just floated over the ground. I asked Mr. Reid if the mower handled that well from day one or if it had loosened up some in 350 hrs of operation and he said it had always been that easy to handle.

The cut quality is excellent. I'm not sure what type of grass we were cutting, but it was in decent shape. It wasn't manicured, but it wasn't a weedy field. I would expect a few straggling weeds, especially cutting at 15 mph, but there were none. The XR-7 deck with Fusion blades leaves a flawless cut at any speed.

Overall, I was very impressed with the Hustler Super Z. Amazing speed, comfortable ride and handling, and good fuel economy with enough power to get the job done. I want one!!!
I know the Ferris people don't want to hear this, but it is only fact. For the first time since I can remember my lower back was hurting yesterday afternoon after operating your Ferris. I actually though I was going to have prolonged pain, but this morning it feels fine. I went out an cut the 3/4 mile of road; I showed you that I cut every week late yesterday afternoon, after I finished the pain was no longer noticeable.

Now believe me, I am not saying the way my Super Z is set up not only keeps my back from hurting but took the pain away the Ferris put in. I actually think it is the amount of Omega 3; I consume each day and just going back out and riding the mower loosened it up. Normally lower back pain does not leave that easily.

I am very glad you stopped by, you are an exceptional young man that has a very good head on his shoulders. I had already pegged you as being very intelligent that is why I asked about your studies and major in college. When you said you were a junior at Wingate University majoring in marketing and had only made two B's since starting school and was carrying a 3.8 GPA, I knew my assumption of you was correct.

Now that each of us has been on the Ferris and Hustler; I feel assured you will confirm the Hustler rides, operates, cuts better and is much more productive than a Ferris mower. Like I was telling you after we cut the amount of grass we did in an hour, and you said it would have taken me 1/2 of a day to cut that much grass and the Hustler cut the majority.

We are not comparing your size mower to the size of mine in productivity, but I believe you can easily see the comparable sized Ferris cutting with the Super Z could not be nearly as productive. You remember, I told you speed is what makes the most difference in productivity, but if you do not have a mower that rides, handles and gives a good cut, all the extra speed is worthless.

You cut areas with the Super Z at 15 mph that you could hardly stand the ride of another brand of mower at 10 mph. I told you I ran a Bad Boy Lightening for 30 hrs. in the same areas and it would cut at 14 mph. We put them side by side and the Super Z would pull away slowly in a straight run and the ride was better than your Ferris. With that being said I feel assured the bigger, heavier Ferris will ride better than your lighter model. I don't believe the coil spring suspension will ever ride as smooth as a mower with torsion rubber suspension, as a matter of fact I know it can't because the torsion rubber will absorb more shock. This is the exact reason torsion rubber is run on tractor trailer truck suspensions and not springs.

Chad really gave us what I thought was a good price on the Super Z, he told me later he had sold over 200 Hustlers this year.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow. A whole Day & no Hustler Haters have chimed in yet!
Old 05-23-2008, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not a hater, but I have a question. Who among those of you commercial cutters on here use their Hustler's to it's full extent like puppypaws?
Old 05-23-2008, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer_Z View Post
I'm not a hater, but I have a question. Who among those of you commercial cutters on here use their Hustler's to it's full extent like puppypaws?
I'm just a HO with alot of grass, I cut 8+/- acres every 2 weeks. I however don't cut quite as low as puppypaws & i would leave stringers when cutting at high speed. I'm expermenting with different blades on my 04(old style deck) Med. lift fusions... for me didn't quite do the trick. I'm currently trying out scag 3in notched Hi-lifts. It sounds like a jet engine under the deck now.
These hi-lifts really stand up the grass & give a excellent cut. But these hi-lifts also drag down my 28efi quite a bit in very heavy wet grass. When it dries out farther into the summer, i'l try some Hi-lift gators & see how they do. 75% of what i cut is cattle pasture land(no more cattle) & it can get very rough since i don't have flex forks, but i do have the suspension seat. I cut at 75-80% throttle mostly. But you can bet whenever i can, i go WOT.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use my Lightning with mulch kit at full speed most of the time and it leaves a great cut.
The land I mow has a very sandy soil with many slopes and lots of bare spots and holes eroded by storm rain. There are also a bunch of walking paths partially covered with loose gravel and a mix of grass and weed I have to mow over.
This makes a very rough surface to ride and I know I couldn't do it with any other mower at the speed I go. Takes me forever to sharpen my blades after each cut (2.5 hours of mowing). At least 2" of the cutting edge near the tips of each blade is completely rounded by the abrasion from the sand.
I thought of taking the mulch kit off but I'm too scared to throw gravel everywhere...
Apart from a Bad Boy, I'd probably go with a Super Z for this job. Can't think of anything else to get this done...
Echo PAS-265 Power-heads with Trimmer, Edger, Hedge Clipper, ProSweep and Power Pruner attachments
Shindaiwa EB-802RT, Echo PB-755T & PB-265L Backpack Blowers
Various backup equipment (Poulan Pro, Toro, Troy Bilt, etc...)
Professional pressure washing equipment.
Amsoil synthetic oil and E3 spark plugs for all engines...