Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-21-2008, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Electronic Key pad on '06 F250

I am having problems with my electronic key pad on my '06 F250, it just magically quit the other day and I have checked the fuses with nothing showing up that I think should apply to the door locks. Everything else works. Any suggestions on what might be affecting it?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

is it under warranty?
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 05-22-2008, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstontino View Post
I am having problems with my electronic key pad on my '06 F250, it just magically quit the other day and I have checked the fuses with nothing showing up that I think should apply to the door locks. Everything else works. Any suggestions on what might be affecting it?
Are you talking about the keypad on the driver's door?
Old 05-22-2008, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Factory keypad or dealer/aftermarket add-on? An add-on, even from Ford, may be battery powered. I know they used to do this on older (2004) models. If so, and the battery is dead, you have to replace the keypad. It works off the keyless entry system - you'd have to program the new one to the truck.

Easy way to tell - if it's flush-mounted, it's a factory-installed option. If it sticks out ~ 1/2" it's the dealer/aftermarket add-on (or a 2004 or older model built prior to 12/03).

Other things to check - does the keypad light up when you press a key? If you press the last two keys, do the doors lock?

Looking at the wiring diagrams, if it's the factory-installed model, it appears to be wired into the vehicle security module which is behind the dash...near the middle. Could always find the connector and see if you have a short or other problem. A good scan tool capable of reading more than just P codes (AutoEnginuity with the enhanced Ford option, for example) may provide additional information, although I'm not sure if keyless entry generates a code (although a light on my reverse sensor does, so keyless may very well).

Still under warranty?
Old 05-22-2008, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

The truck is out of warranty and the keypad is from the factory. When you try and enter the code, it no longer lights up. My handheld keyless entry still works fine. I had 1 fuse that was blown, but it was associated with the trailer braking system and didn't figure it was related, I am going to replace it today, but who knows. I'll try the items you suggested and get back with any out come. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

youll just have to replace the pad. their not very expensive. maybe 65 bucks.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com