Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-25-2008, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosparkplugs View Post
The Cummins is a heavy engine, I would not want to hang a plow off the front of a unmodified front end, My gosh I can tell you from ownership experience the truck is heavy my 7,000lb floor jack struggles lifting the front of the dodge in the front you would need some air bags on the front for the extra weight of the plow.

I have had the best luck with Dodge transmissions, 48RE is a HD towing transmission and while the Ford truck lovers hate dodge, our 02 F-350 7.3L powerstroke dually crew, was a PIECE of crap the tranny went out a 45,000miles, along with many other issues.

The Dodge cab & bodies hold up well, If we (dodge lovers) had listen to all the Dodge haters we would be on the side of the road with Fords. When I'm out working the majority of rigs broken down on the side of the road are Ford Powerstrokes.

The Cummins ISB will suck the paint off a Powerstroke going up a hill, and it's easy to maintain inline 6 compared to a V-8 diesel. You cannot go wrong with a Cummins diesel
You are right about that! This cummins just hauls so much better than powerjokes or duraduds(I own a duradud... my wife drives it since it can't the tough stuff). I pulled 16k w/ my dodge the other day... chugs right along on the interestate w/ no downshifting.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
The truck itself is what you have to worry about as for just being broke in is a laugh the engine is at 3/4 of its life span. Leave the engine alone aka no squeezing more power out of it the engine should last you a decent time.

The worst part about Dodge 4x4s is the unreliable axle lock and the weak unit bearing hubs. I don't know if I would want to hang too much weight on the front end of a Dodge Cummins. The front axle capacity is already pushing the limits.

A truck like that would be a daily driver/work truck why beat the crap out of it plowing. With the price of fuel nowwadays you don't want to really ruin a truck that will get 16 mpg.
You are thinking of the powerstroke in your truck (200,000 mile life expectancy) The cummins will go double it's current mileage like the 7.3's would.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't keep trucks longer than 250,000kms (155,350 miles) I'am not the only one that way. The reason being is winter is bad for road salt the trucks usually have decent amount of rust. The roads beat the crap out of the truck you look at a truck with 250,000kms it rattles and squeeks. The suspension is usually well worn out because there isn't a straight road in rural parts of B.C.

To give you a idea my F-450 will have eaten a set of 19.5 Bridgestone R250 in 50,000kms (31,000 miles). I grease the ball joints in the truck once a month because the roads take the toll. I have been giving a tow truck buddy a bad time because he went to a truck with 16 inch rubber (F-Superduty) he is wearing out 16 inch tires every 3 months he had a truck with 19.5 rubber before.

Because I have been driving truck for so long I can gross my truck to its max and never get the brakes hot decending the 10% grades. A set of brakes can last me a long time if you abuse your brakes you can gaurantee every 2 months you will be changing brake pads because of the hills.

A person I have mentioned before has worked on the 5.9 Cummins since its inception also agrees with me once the engine hits 350,000kms (218,000 mile) he says its close to the engines life span. He has worked on the Cummins 5.9 in tractors to medium duty trucks. He likes the Cummins engines but can't stand Dodge trucks he calls them cheap junk just as bad as a freightliner.

My brother has a 94 2500 Dodge Cummins 4x4 the engine runs good but the rest of the truck is cheap. He has had lots of problems with the front end and brakes. The vacuum actuated axle lock was a problem of course ball joints. The rear suspension is a little weak. A excavation contractor friend has a twin to my brothers truck its had lots of problems with the front end he has gone through 4 sets of unit wheelbearings and suspension problems.

The 5.9 12valve with the inline pump is a reliable engine not big power by any means. Turning them up just shortens the life of them.

There is one Dodge in the area I think it probably has the most kilometers on it something around 360,000 (224,000 miles) the truck is thrashed it was worked everyday the guy has owned the truck for 18 years. The Cummins runs but smokes like h*ll it is worn out. The truck itself isn't safe for the road anymore so the owner stopped driving it. Its had quite a few automatic transmissions bent front axle.

Another guy in the area has a 95 Dodge Cummins owned it since new I never seen a truck so baffed out the bottom of the doors rusted out. I watched him open the door and it d*mn near fell off the truck has 280,000kms (174,000 miles) the engine runs okay but the rest of the truck is a DOT special. He abused that truck to its max probably worse than anybody I know can abuse a truck. The truck has seen front end work ever since new.

The 5.9 Cummins is good but the pile of cheap tin wrapped around it is cheap tin. Dodge trucks sell cheap because nobody wants a old Dodge.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

went and looked at it. its a decent truck except the tranny slips! so I think I'm gonna pass on this one. thanks again for the advice. im gonna keep lookin for one.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Probably a good call unless you could get a pretty good deal a tranny rebuild will def set you back some change i would guess 2500 plus my dodge v10 was a little over 2000 last year and for it being a diesel if its slipping now then it will be needing a new one pretty soon the raw torque will take its toll on it