Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-21-2008, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

which truck

i need a truck for work and every day purposes. i have about 8,000 dollars should i go for a dodge quad cab or an older f150
Old 05-22-2008, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I had a 95 f-150, it was a great truck. I think it had about 130,000 miles when I sold it. It had a straight 6, I bought it new and worked it hard for all those years.

I have never had a Dodge 1/2 ton, I have a 04 Dodge one ton with 77,000 miles. It looks like I'm going to trade it for a Chevy 2500.

I think I sold my Ford for about $3800, someone got a good truck.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go for the Ford, any engine you get in one will be very good. I have a Ford with the 5.8L 351 V8 engine, and like it very well. Very good power, and I'm getting 17 mpg pulling the mowers. The only good engine you can get in the Dodge would be the 318 5.2L Magnum engine. All other engines on those aren't very good compared to Ford and Chevy. The automatic transmissions are TERRIBLE on all Dodges; very weak, have to be rebuilt frequently, and be flushed every 6 months to keep them going. The only combination on a Dodge that would be acceptable would be the 318 engine with a 5-speed manual transmission. The automatic transmission on the Ford is fairly good on the pre-1996 models. I have the E4OD 4-spd. and it's ok, but the newer generation transmission (1997 and newer) is VERY good. I had both, and the newer transmission is much better shifting, and alot longer lasting.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis215 View Post
Go for the Ford, any engine you get in one will be very good. I have a Ford with the 5.8L 351 V8 engine, and like it very well. Very good power, and I'm getting 17 mpg pulling the mowers. The only good engine you can get in the Dodge would be the 318 5.2L Magnum engine. All other engines on those aren't very good compared to Ford and Chevy. The automatic transmissions are TERRIBLE on all Dodges; very weak, have to be rebuilt frequently, and be flushed every 6 months to keep them going. The only combination on a Dodge that would be acceptable would be the 318 engine with a 5-speed manual transmission. The automatic transmission on the Ford is fairly good on the pre-1996 models. I have the E4OD 4-spd. and it's ok, but the newer generation transmission (1997 and newer) is VERY good. I had both, and the newer transmission is much better shifting, and alot longer lasting.
Here we go again Folks speaking out of their butts, First unless you have owned a Dodge your full of BS. The Dodge V8 5.9L magnum were powerful & reliable engines before we switched to diesel, sold one to my brother with 205,000 miles no oil leaks or oil consumption, still running today Out of all the trucks I have owned the Dodge trucks & transmissons have held up with over 185,00 miles of heavy towing before a transmission rebuild. Secondly The Cummins diesel & 48RE will out power & pull any Ford. In my experience I owend a 02 F-350 7.3L powerstroke dually crew, the transmission went out at 45,000 miles, and a list of engine problems, piece or crap. The Ford V8 gasburnes are slugs; because while our Ford diesel was in the shop for repair the Ford dealer would loan us F-250's with the triton V8 what a slug it could barley tow our trailers, and we would do the "I think I can, I think I can" "Choo Choo" going up hills or in city traffic. When we finally got to our job sites the Ford trition V8 would smell burnt, and it was pinging like it was just overworked. Our Dodge V8 5.9L magnum gasburnes never complained, were gas guzzlers, but worked hard.

Rarely will you see a Dodge truck on the side of the road broke down, oh thats right their on fire LOL. The only truck that left us broke down on the side of the road was a Ford

Good luck with the Fords, what a joke

Last edited by nosparkplugs; 05-26-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ford....No wait ......dodge nooo .....owwwww chevy o' ****, wait .

No matter what you'll get a different answer from a each and every person on here and they will always say "Get an ?(which ever make they have)" Good luck with this thread.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Chevy is the best
Old 05-26-2008, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Instead of asking A question that is just going to be argument's and your on A budget just look for A good deal, They all make comparable truck's other wise they would be out of business. with gas prices being so high there are going to be lot's of people selling trucks that were using them for daily drivers. look for a deal and hope that you get a good one, any brand could bring garbage or a reliable affordable truck
Old 05-27-2008, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

I think everyone knows that there have been pro's and con's with certain models of any truck. All boonehocky is asking is for some opinions on what to avoid and what has worked well for us. That being said I will proceed to give you mine.

There can be an exception to anything, so if you have a model that I say is known for trouble don't take offense and tell me how you have a billion miles on one. I have owned all of the big three including diesels and gassers. Today I am purchasing a 2006 Dodge 2500, cummins, 4x4, Quad cab, big horn ed., 24,000 miles.

A dodge 318 is a good engine, however in my opinion underpowered for towing. Dodge has been known to have trans. problems. For example, four guys I work with are Dodge owners all approx 99models, 3 out of 4 have had to rebuild their trannies. As far as the 360 on dodge, I have not heard much bad about it.

I have only ever owned one ford and that will be the last, bought it brand new in 1999. At the fire dept. I work for we have 3 Ford 6L diesels and 2 7.3L diesels. Dam near every shift one of them is in the shop, these are all units that were purchased new and have been cared for well. Now I know this is just my experience and there are others on here that run these successfully with no problems. We have two trucks with cummins and two with duramax have had almost no issues with any of these.

If you are looking to spend about 8k on a used truck here are a few suggestions. For that price you will have to get an older quad cab but could get a nicer reg cab. REMEMBER THE TRUCKS I SUGGEST ARE BASED ON THE PRICE YOU CAN SPEND.

1999-2003 Chevy silverado, solid trucks whether half or 3/4 ton both engines, 5.3 and 6.0 as well as the 350 all very reliable. IFS on these models is not quite as heavy as Ford or Dodge though, but may ride a little better. Lots of variables on the fuel economy here. I have had a bunch of 5.3's and got as well as 20mpg and the one I have now gets around 13mpg(half ton Z-71).

Late 90's on Fords with the 5.4 seem to be a good trucks with good towing ability depending on how their set up. If you go with a 3/4ton you will get the solid front axle, may like that for plowing. You can expect to get from 12 to 16mpg with the 5.4 depending on setup.

Now for Dodge. I have seen some Dodge's take abuse I didn't think possible and stand up to it. I think they are a well built truck but for what you are spending you will probably need to stay with gas. The 5.9 will not have very good economy(everyone I know with them gets around 10mpg) and the 318 is underpowered. Also seems like they have a few more transmission issues. The only reason I would consider and am buying a dodge is for the cummins. I do not care for their gas engine options but like the trucks otherwise.
JD JS 40 21"
Shindaiwa trimmer and blower
Echo edger
6' x 16' trailer
Old 05-27-2008, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I know where you can get a 2500 Dodge 4x4 extended cab with 360 automatic real cheap. The guy that owns it has had to replace the rear axle gears 3 times,transmission problems more times than you can count,brakes are a constant problem. He said to me he has spent more money on this Dodge and will be the last Dodge he ever buys he will go back to Chevy like he had before.

The 360 is a fuel pig it burns just as much fuel as the V-10 in Dodges.