Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-28-2008, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Converting a 2500HD PU to a 9ft flatbed dump. Which mfg. is the best?

I've got a 2003 2500HD pickup with an EZ Dumper insert and my new Toro Dingo can't dump into it because the EZ dumper sits too high! I tried ramps and ramps suck!!!

I want to install a Reading Redi-Dek, it’s 6.75ft x 9ft with a guestimated low deck height of 44” (by the Dealer)
It has a black diamond plate steel floor, and I'm wondering if the diamond pattern is going to give me a problem dumping damp loads of topsoil.
With the smooth floor on the EZ dumper I always had half a load that didn’t fall out at full dump. So wouldn’t the diamond pattern hang it up even more???
Or was it the funnel shape of the EZ dumper that “trapped” the load???

If anyone has the Reading Redi-Dek let me know how it’s working out for you!

http://www.readingbody.com/Home/Prod...5/Default.aspx

Otherwise, can anyone recommend another setup?

It’s got to be a low deck flatbed with a 6000lb or higher hoist, it will be used mostly to haul topsoil, sand & gravel.
And it has to fit a single rear wheel 2500HD.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Brian M; 05-28-2008 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

ditchwitch sk650 or the vermeer mini skids, should be able to reach. happy shopping
Old 05-28-2008, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Member

The easiest way to do it is go to a welding shop in your area and have a deck built. You can build anything the way you want. With it being a P/U you will have to custom build the understructure of the deck. I don't know if the newer pick ups have straight frame rails but with the older trucks you had the hump over the rear axle. A pickup frame is wider so you have to make the longsills wider. You will have to build a subframe so the deck has something flat to sit on plus a frame for the hoist to hook to if you want to use a scissor hoist. For what you want to haul a direct mount single push hoist might do it they are okay for short truck bodies. A front mount hoist is always the best it will bend the truck frame before it powers out.

You want smooth steel floor a checker plate floor will grab material.

If you could get away with 1/8th steel aslong as you don't haul rocks if you plan on hauling rock then you may want to go with 3/16s its a little heavy.

I don't like those cheap stamped steel decks they are crap all my truck decks I use are built out of structural steel. The deck I'am building for my F-450 is going to be a little heavy weighs approx 1800lbs it is a 11.5x8 dump deck.

For a P/U truck I would go with aluminum if you can afford it. Payload will be a issue with a steel deck.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

.there are plenty of good welders out there that will be glad to help you with your own design,i have designed 2 flatbeds and 2 trailers that were built for me. i supplied the steel so the only cost was the labor.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

flatbed

a scissor hoist hoist is just fine just remember to get maximum dump angle for the capacity to clean out ,diamond plate will not clean out very well at all ,a twin post hoist is way out of date they do not have a very good balance system on the hydraulic's they like to pre stage the cylinder's when they are multi stage . just keep the hoist pivot points greased ,i know omaha standard and knaphiede make some very good unit's ,good luck .