Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2002, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

diazinon outlawed!!!!!!!next year

JUST THOUGHT YOU MIGHT WANT TO KNOW MY DEALER STATED THE FED. GOVERNMENT IS PULLING DIAZINON OFF THE SHELFS NEXT YEAR. SO STOCK UP NOW.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:05 AM
Banned

Whatever shall we do? This is one of the reasons why I am planning on going pesticide free within the next few years except for the occasional treatment for complete infestations.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
Re: diazinon outlawed!!!!!!!next year

Quote:
Originally posted by shawn'slawns
SO STOCK UP NOW.
It'll be illegal to apply it.

Dave
Old 03-19-2002, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

All OP's are being phased out.

The Diazinon info is about a year old now.

And, NO, the government won't be "pulling it off the shelves."
This is an arrangement for most of the large manufacturers not renewing their EPA registration on that product.

And, NO, it will not be illegal to apply the product. You just won't be able to buy it anymore for lawn care use.

It's been prohibited from sod farms and other uses for several years now.

There are other very good non-op insecticides.

I think being pesticide-free until you reach the action threshold as defined in IPM is a good idea.
Old 03-20-2002, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are we sure that we're not talking about Dursban? I know they are phasing that out, but I never heard ANYthing about Diazinon. I DO know that the phasing out process involves the pulling of the product off the market one year, then the prohibiting of use the following year.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-20-2002, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They're both orgnophoshates. (OP's)Disrupt nervous system funtion. (The chemistry was originally derived from WWI nerve gas, so I think it was time for them to go.)

With the improvement in chemistry we can now have a more effective product and be safer to the applicator and reduce the potential off target impact.

Dursban was first, now diazinon.
Old 03-20-2002, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sevin will be next along with Orthene and other Organos'. Time to get into the pyrethriods, which have a great knockdown but no residual. Oh well!
Old 03-20-2002, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kent is correct. The new EPA mandated risk asessment of OP's, chlorinated hydrocarnons/chloirdes, & carbamates means they will all go. Probably most by 2006. With all due respect for anyone who wishes to wax nostalgic on us, so what?
We'll be much better off as an industry once the likes of parathion (Hitlers product of choice) & Guthion (among others most of us haven't used) are finally gone for good.
Mach2 has a new rate that allows for 2lbs.AI/A which is good since it will now control all the chafers. So between that & Merit has me wondering why we'll miss Diazinon. OK, it does control Chinch Bugs, I'll give you that. But, Talstar is more than adequate to replace Dursban & it even lasts longer. If Talstar could be mechanically incorporated with soil, it would control grubs for 4-5 YEARS. It won't be labled as such because it can't leach down to where grubs live. But this is kind of good isn't it? When Talstar is pressure injected into sandbased greens in Florida for Mole Crickets, researchers have observed some crazy long residuals & no leaching.
Conserve SC controls all kind of lepidoptora in turf & ornamentals & has a measly 4 hour worker reentry interval. If the geese that so readily eat diazinon when it's applied to a corn carrier get into Conserve beleive me, it won't make the evening news, nor will it attract the attention of the Audobon Society. Whats not good about this?
There are plenty of other new & potentially valuble molecules coming. Many will make our lives less complicated than they are right now.
Yeah, the old chemistries are cheaper. Raise your prices & it won't make any difference at all. You won't be the only one since everyone has to endure the same cost increases. Hording Diazinon won't absolve anyone from the responsibility of passing along the increased expense sooner or later.
If this legislation (though partly based on junk science & politics) forces our industry to get better at what we do then I can't find much fault with the outcome. It's just the very bad politics that caused us to change that I don't like. The change should have come from our desire to improve rather than the threat of the loss of our industry. We have Clinton & Gore to blame for how it happened, but we have only ourselves to blame for why.

Steve