Register free!

Old 03-18-2002, 03:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Fertilizing Program

I'm new to the fertilizing service for my company and i will be using all Lesco Fertilizers this year. I was wondering if someone could tell me what to set the setting on my lesco spreader to for all the different fertilizers we use. I live in missouri and we apply 6 different applications. Please feel free to give me advise also.
Old 03-18-2002, 04:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your Lesco dealer should have the answer for you, they are always very helpful in this area for people just starting out. Give them a call and I'm sure they will help.
p.s the bag should have the settings on the label and you should have been given the "key" and shown how to use it if it's a Lesco spreader.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Forget the label. It says to apply 1lb of N 5 times a year.
No mention of grass types and sun/shade environment.
Do a study of turfgrass types and their nutrient requirements.
Be careful not to overdo the N in a shade lawn.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:54 AM
Banned

Chem tech... doing fert programs for a lawn is not just a "ok im gonna do fertilization" type thing. First you will need to get your soil samples taken and analysed. In a few weeks you will get your computer print-out back from the coop ext service. You take the proper fertilizers which they recommend and apply when they say to at the rate they say to. Now with a Lesco rotary you go wheel track to wheel track. I believe you would be going in a clockwise? rotation. When applying your fert you have to calibrate your spreader. It is very nice that they tell you on the machine that, "this is what you should set it at" however... you wanna make sure you have it right. You know that you have it calibrated it you come to within 5% either way of what you need. For example... you take your soil test... UNC tells you to put down 3/4lb P / M... they want you to use a 0-46-0 triplesuperphosphate. So you go, and you have to apply 3.7lb of this stuff per M. To be calibrated you have to be anywhere from 3.885lb per M to 3.5115lb per M. If you have an old spreader, or you are walking faster, or slower, or whatever the case is... you have to calibrate. That means that you get the width of the pass you can effectively make, then you figure that out, get a tarp, apply the material to a known area on the tarp. 1 or 2 passes... measure that in a scale of some form... now if your weight of material equates out to be 3.85lb / M then you are set... if you are at 3.9lb / M you have a problem. Just some things to think about when you do fert. Also, when doing fert... dont listen to settings on the bag, or coverage areas.
You want to listen to:
weight of bag
chemical analysis of bag 20 - 10 - 15 / whatever
what kind of ingredients are in it... IBDU / UF / Urea / SCU / PCU / Triple superphosphate / superphosphate / DAP / muriate of potash / etc.
ratio of WIN and WSN
look for any micro-nutrients
and some other BS stuff.

It is much more complicated than that, however that is just a brief rundown as to why you can't just go and ask what are the settings you need for what...