Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2002, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Read the label, Read the Label

On Wednesday I terminated My Spray tech. Not because he did anything wrong. Because he didn't do anything. Yes I am a lot up tight because of weeds in many of my lawns. I am doing the applys for now and hope to keep up.

This noon I went to lesco to pick up some things and told the story and said that it would take 30 days to get response from the weed killer that I use.

The Lesco salesman said "Try Three Way it works a lot faster."
" No" I say "It is not labeled for St. Augustine"
"Sure it is a lot of guys are using it I sell a lot of it for St. Augustine"
" Ok then I will try it." I said.

Thank Heaven I read the Label

He was Talking about Three Way WS Dose Packs.

I was thinking Three Way Selective, and had it in on the shelve. Good thing I took the time to read the label. If I had tanked up with Three Way selective I would not of had any weeds or turf in my customer yards. Blue Book T.O.R. Paid for itself Today.

I have heard many stories about bad advise even from Ifas (extension service and U of Fla.) that cost people money. One story from Ifas cost a golf course a big fine because of misuse of label. The product did the job but was not labeled for it.

How many times do we just take the salesman's word on a product and apply it. I have been guilty. The Lesco salesman didn't give me bad advise, I assumed it was Three Way selective.

Bottom line

READ THE LABEL READ THE LABEL
The label is the law.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-17-2002, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto!!

I was going to say something similar in the middle of one of the recent threads we had going. I think people were saying how good their Lesco people were with their advice etc. I have talked with the people at the closest Lesco to me, and agree that at that location they were very knowledgable. I use UHS because there is one much closer & they have the same type of knowledgable staff & great service and I like the products. However, when I look around their warehouse at the many different products they have, I realize that there is no way they could possibly know all of the label details for all of those products. So I always second guess them & read the label before making purchases, just to make sure there aren't problems like Ric mentions. So far they have never said anything majorly opposite of a label, but it could happen easily.

Its worth repeating:

"Bottom line

READ THE LABEL READ THE LABEL
The label is the law."
Old 03-20-2002, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Read The Label; as a clarification,the new label for Lesco three
way is labeled for st. augustine. This label is also available in
the 2001 and 2002 cp press blue book. A lot of turf professionals
are now using this product to help with their weed management
programs,myself included. I just suggest that you still read the
label,for the label is the LAW!!!!
Old 03-20-2002, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Just picked up a 2.5 gallon jug of Speedzone for St. Augustine to try out. Supposedly 3 days and weeds are dead. It's a 2-4D product with a new active added that makes it safer.
I always read the label and never take the salesmans word for it.
Ric have you checked your email?
Old 03-20-2002, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mr bolt

The Three way I have on the shelf is the old label and my Bluebook Tor is a 1999. I have not bought a new Blue book TOR because of the internet labels being up to date. I used to buy a new Bluebook every two years and need to do that again. yes the new Three way is labeled for St Augustine. Thank you for your info.

Greg

Yes I have checked my E mail and thank you very much. I think it can work for me. 90% of my business is L & O however I do GHP and Home Health termite stations. Both the new Three Way and speed Zone sound like they are worth checking out. Sometimes I feel like I am only answering other peoples Question here at LS. So it is really great when I get the help. I need all the help I can get. Thanks again for all the help everybody.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 03-20-2002, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good eyes Ric. Label changes or not, the label on the bottle you intend to use is the law. But... Some states allow expanded use of products with recent label chages if you are in posession of a supplemental label that includes the new language. I don't know if Fla is one of those states or not.
I can probably get you that supplemental label (so can the store) if it is found to be legal & would help.

http://www.bluebooktor.com/asp/free_b.asp

Is this the one you need?

Steve
Old 03-20-2002, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Steve

The way I am reading this label the forumlar has not changed. There fore The Three-Way Selective I have on the shelf is good on St Augustine grass. Is that Right??? Thanks for your reply

Old 03-21-2002, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ric,
Same formula. Expanded label. This has to be huge for both our customers & sales people in Fla.
Now my question. Threeway is still the economic king of Northeast weed control. Is it working well on St. Augustine? (the most butt ugly grass on the planet IMHO). LOL

Steve
Old 03-21-2002, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Steve

Lesco Three-Way Selective Works great. It has one of the fastest response time I have ever seen by a select herbicide. Three-Way Selective even gets Black Medic (Medicago lupulina) a weed that Atrazine won't touch. I have been using Lotrel for Black Medic and at $ 118.00 a Quart Lotrel is the most expensive chemical Liquid I buy. Since Three-Way is now labeled for the most beautiful turf grass in the world, it will not only save me money, it will give me better response time.

(Darn I never thought I would say this to you.) Thanks Steve, Thanks Lesco. Thanks Alan & Jerry at my local Lesco. ( I didn't say that did I )

Old 03-22-2002, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

RIC,
THANK YOU!
Steve