Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2008, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Power Cloner or EZ Clone for propogation

I have been looking at each of these units for plant cloning/propogation and was wondering if anyone has used one or the other. I have had varying degrees of sucess with rooting from clippings...some things thrive, some things die. My greatest sucess has come from butterfly bushes and verigated privet. I would like to increase my odds and have plants for my own use and gifts for family and friends.

The prices are close on each unit but the Power Cloner comes with a Humidome to help keep the leaf surface damp. I am new to cloning/propogation and would like an easy way to get good results without having to babysit the plants all day...I dont have time to keep misting the leaves. I have seen more reviews on the EZ Clone system but it is lacking the humidome.

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics....ines-c-37.html

This system will be for home use.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 06-23-2008, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cga how u been doing? Need a little rain here.

I think those mini green houses are used by wackey tabacco growers.

I plan on rooting sme Boxwood, Yew, Verageted privet, and I bought a Red Ceder thats supposed to root eaisly. All I do is put some root hormone and pland them in sand, sometimes I forgett to water them, November is when I do it. Also you can wrap a ball of dirt on a existing plant and it will root right there. Another thing is stake a stem in the ground and it will root.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Cga how u been doing? Need a little rain here.

I think those mini green houses are used by wackey tabacco growers.

I plan on rooting sme Boxwood, Yew, Verageted privet, and I bought a Red Ceder thats supposed to root eaisly. All I do is put some root hormone and pland them in sand, sometimes I forgett to water them, November is when I do it. Also you can wrap a ball of dirt on a existing plant and it will root right there. Another thing is stake a stem in the ground and it will root.
I have been doing well, how about you? We could use a bit more rain here as well.

Well if they are good enough for wackey tabacki then they should work for regular plants then!

If I could find the nozzles and pumps for a misting system I would make my own...I hear you have to keep the leaf surface wet.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 06-23-2008, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The advantage to your power cloner is that you can use it all year.

A cold frame is another option, but it would be used over winter. However you could build one for nearly nothing. ]

Hopefully the ATF doesnt get a list of who buys power cloners.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The advantage to your power cloner is that you can use it all year.

A cold frame is another option, but it would be used over winter. However you could build one for nearly nothing. ]

Hopefully the ATF doesnt get a list of who buys power cloners.
Yeah it looked pretty cool. I don't have a greenhouse or a cold frame but would surely build one if I purchased the EZ clone or the other. I just pulled up a few designs for a coldframe...looks easy enough to build and I think I have the perfect place for one.

If the ATF comes to my house I have nothing to hide...however I really don't want to be visited by those black booted thugs!! They may catch me cloning roses, hydrangeas, privet and gardenias!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Yeah it looked pretty cool. I don't have a greenhouse or a cold frame but would surely build one if I purchased the EZ clone or the other. I just pulled up a few designs for a coldframe...looks easy enough to build and I think I have the perfect place for one.

If the ATF comes to my house I have nothing to hide...however I really don't want to be visited by those black booted thugs!! They may catch me cloning roses, hydrangeas, privet and gardenias!
Im planning on buying 7 of those reblooming Azails, you know where those clippings are going.

I looked at the website you posted and those things look cool, however they are pricey.

growing Daylillies and Monkey grass is eaisy, Daylillies sometime sell for big bucks
Old 06-23-2008, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Im planning on buying 7 of those reblooming Azails, you know where those clippings are going.

I looked at the website you posted and those things look cool, however they are pricey.

growing Daylillies and Monkey grass is eaisy, Daylillies sometime sell for big bucks
They are pricey...but I just want to know if they work? Those double bloomers are really cool...I didn't get that type due to the expense but if I had a way to make more I would have gotten them.

I have had good luck with mondo grass and tiger lilies...I don't even have to do anything for them to do fine!! My tiger lilies are spreading like weeds!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
They are pricey...but I just want to know if they work? Those double bloomers are really cool...I didn't get that type due to the expense but if I had a way to make more I would have gotten them.

I have had good luck with mondo grass and tiger lilies...I don't even have to do anything for them to do fine!! My tiger lilies are spreading like weeds!
Ive alaways dreamed of having a nursury, however I have way too many projects already.

If I ever get my Box truck and go Full time I will go to the Gulf and load that truck with about 10K worth of plants and try to sell them to my customers.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i like to just dig a small hole and put the branch of the plant mostly forsythia and azalea in the hole with some compost and put a brick on it and wait till it roots the hole makes it easy to water.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I called both companies and they said that woody plants were harder to start with the hydro type systems...these are more popular for doing strawberries, tomatoes and other soft tissue plants. They said not impossible with either systems, but traditional methods work better.