Register free!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Herbicide / Fungicide tank mix

Does anyone know for sure which herbicide/fungicides/fertilizers are compatible in a tank mix?

A buddy of mine just learned of an incompatible mix the hard way (understatement). He had been spraying a mix of Eliminate (MCPA, triclopyr, dicamba) + Dimension 2EW + urea + Pot nitrate + chelated Iron with no problems. 20 Gallons left in the tank, he added another 40 gallons of water, then a bag or 2 of Thiophanate methyl (T-storm) WS PVA bags. It sprayed out for a little while, then the pump started knocking. Long story short; diaphragms in the pump ripped apart, gear reduction shredded, and there's a large mass of brown tar inside the tank. He's in the process of taking his whole spray system apart and repairing/cleaning it. DO NOT MAKE THIS SAME MISTAKE.

I'm looking to see if anyone has succesfully mixed any of the following...

Momentum fx2 (2,4-D, triclopyr, fluroxypyr) + propiconazole OR
" + Armada (triademefon + trifloxystrobin)
" + myclobutanil
" + thiophanate-methyl

and/or if you know of any tank mixes that cause problems like the one above, please inform us all. Thanks
Old 06-24-2008, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Search for Jar Test. You will get some useful information on how to test materials you are considering mixing.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i don't like those self-dissolving PVA bags. Sometimes they don't dissolve--and plug up the filter and pump. Sticky residue.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Herbicide and Fungicide mixtures usually are not very compatable, if possible try to spray them seperate, sometimes the synergy effect itself actually changes the effectiveness of these combos.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The application parameters are also very different for fungicides vs herbicides. Don't think I am going to spray herbicides through my fungicide set up. That is a boom with ceramic hollow cone nozzles spaced 12" and operated at over 100 PSI.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

While that does sound like some compatibility issues, I'm not convinced that they are entirely to blame for something as destructive as shredding of the gear reducer. A pump with torn diagphragms would still continue to turn even if they were torn in half. The gear reducer is seperate unto itself and would only shear or shred if the pump was locked or the pump crankshaft somehow failed (very rare).