Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2008, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Earth Balance Organics

I am not familiar with Organic fertilizing, I live in GA. and found a company called Earth Balance Organics, I'm not sure if this is just a name or a franchise operation. I have about 22k sq. feet of Emerald Zoysia and would like to try Organics instead of the Lesco that I have been using. The site mentions professional bridge and organic fertilizers can someone give me some guidance with this. He says it has a urea which does have some salts, I am trying to get away from the salt issue , any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Dave
Old 02-04-2008, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi dave
I dont know the company or the brand i guess I shold say, but switching from standard synthetic fertilizer to or ganic doesn,t happen over night. there is a bridge so to speak that takes a little time to get your soil conditions back in shape.
just because you have dirt and you have been able to grow grass useing synthetic fertilizers dose not mean you have good soil.
There are other minerals and nutriants and carbon products ,humus levels that really need to be attended to to get switched over.
Your really going to want to use a combination of synthetic and organic and take a little time to convert over.
and depending on how long your soil has been useing synthetic fertilizers your really going to need a shot of some good active biology to help get your soil going again.
It would take me a couple of pages of writting to explain it all and since I dont know all your conditions I would only beguessing.
Just a few things I learned about converting my properties over to organic.
anyway I could go on and on but dont think you are just going to make the switch and not have any issues with your lawn.
It would take more space than I have here good luck if you have more questions let me know
one other thing if this fertilizer has urea it cant really be considered organic.

wrs1
Old 05-03-2008, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, you might want to look for a better quality organic fertilizer. I don't give a transition or bridge when switching to organics, I just add humus and a quality humate product, dolomitic lime if needed, and a good quality organic granular fertilizer. Any lawns I do like this just love it. Yes, there is a lot of science behind it, but if you make sure that your nutritional needs are met organically, and continue to fertilize organically as needed until your soil is on track from years of chemical neglect, you'll be fine. Don't get scared off by the soil science. Just build healthy soil and make sure your nutrition doesn't suffer in the meantime.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I might add.....

Wrs1 has a point. There are many stages in purging your lawn to really make an Organic fertilizer work properly. A great compost and liquid humate work well in building the microbial activity and bringing back the soil stability. I am sure there is source in your area. I deal with a lot of Organic Fertilizers and there are minute traces of Urea in them. Organic fertilizers are 99.9% organic. The urea will not hurt your grass.