Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2008, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Killing Ants

It seems like a lot of my customers have ant problems. I've never even sprayed my own house, how do I go about this? How do you guys usually charge? per sq. ft? standard price?

Please help.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortizlandscaping View Post
It seems like a lot of my customers have ant problems. I've never even sprayed my own house, how do I go about this? How do you guys usually charge? per sq. ft? standard price?

Please help.
ortiz

California has some very strict Pest Control laws and licensing procedures. You must have a Pesticide license to perform this type of work.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Good Point

I should look into that before considering....thanks for the advice
Old 07-10-2008, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortizlandscaping View Post
I should look into that before considering....thanks for the advice

don't just look into it, do it. better to stay on the up and up unless you have some very tricky moves.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Fescue View Post
don't just look into it, do it. better to stay on the up and up unless you have some very tricky moves.
Frank

Sometimes doing it is harder than it appears. I am not sure but believe California is one of those states that requires several years of experience to even sit for what I have heard is a very hard certification test.

I hate to think about all the hassle I went too, to get my Florida certification. But I will also admit there is a big market in Fire Ant control in all the warm season states. Fire Ants are easy to suppress but very hard to control.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 07-10-2008, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a couple of brother-in-laws who own ANTAC ( http://www.antacpest.com/ ) in San Diego. They are making an absolute fortune doing pest control (specifically ants) down there. Emulated and tweaked the Orkin model and are now living like spoiled rich kids... (while I sit here sweating my butt off to pay my mortgage)...
Old 07-10-2008, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopassonthebluegrass View Post
I have a couple of brother-in-laws who own ANTAC ( http://www.antacpest.com/ ) in San Diego. They are making an absolute fortune doing pest control (specifically ants) down there. Emulated and tweaked the Orkin model and are now living like spoiled rich kids... (while I sit here sweating my butt off to pay my mortgage)...
Whoopass

In certain States like California, New York and Florida a Pesticide license is a License to steal. I can suppress Ants on a 10K property for under $ 3.00 in chemicals and the surfactant costs more than the insecticide. A Lowballer in my area is living high on the hog doing nothing but Fire Ant suppression. He does mostly low end properties like trailer parks etc. I would like to go that route also but just don't have the energy to pursue it. Lawn Care has the lowest margin of pest control in my area because of Fertilizer costs. In lawn care we must inventory many different chemicals from herbicides to fungicides etc. With Ant control that chemical inventory is very small.