Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-10-2008, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
Thanks for the tip with the float adjustment I will look at that this weekend while the machine is down. Sounds like a good reason that the engine is burning a lot of oil with the unburnt gas. I would have thought if that were the case the oil would have been thinned? The oil looks fine I have added some lucas oil additive to see if this will extend the life of the engine. At this time of year it's tough to have a machine down for a long period.
If this is a one cyclinder Kohler the float is plastic so no adjustment. But like I said they leak after around 12 months. If they leak gas into the crankcase that would be really bad. I have seen that but usually the symptom is the cyclinder is locked due to gas in it.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kohler Command Pro

Let's see, what can I say about these ol' beasts, it doesn't get any simpler,these are as basic as it gets. First, most are gravity fed fuel, used to be decals that said,"Before transporting,shut off fuel" still wise today, with the tank above the carb, the amount of hydraulic shock to the float/needle and seat causes fuel to flood the intake (and hence dilute oil) and then there real problems, the guys start up the engines, they smoke a little bit and then can lock up due to dilution. I have continued to put these engines back on rebuild mid size walk behinds because of their reliability, some are 9 years old and only have 65 pounds of compression and should'nt even start, let alone run, I keep telling the owners, your going to have to replace this engine, but untill it quits they just keep running 'em, these are workhorses, and when the carb/throttlestem wallows out I take it apart and put faucet washers on it and slap'em back together and send 'em out the door,these are great 'ol engines IMO.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I also say the 15hp Kohler is my favorite engine, both my main mowers have it.

If oil was leaking past the rings you would have more problems than just low oil... For one the lack of compression ought to be noticeable, but what you should be seeing is the oil turning black in no time at all (way before the next due oil change).

And I know you said it's burning it...

But I would carefully check everywhere for leaks.
Just so that has been covered, hate to see someone assuming the worst then it turns out it's something silly.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmsoilPower View Post
Please explain this statement as I am why someone would not want to use synthetic.

Engines "using" oil at 1 oz/hr is considered the norm and tolerable by most engine manufacturers with conventional oil.

kohler warns useing synthetic oil during the break in period. i tell all my customers this and have seen the bad results- an engine that burns oil well before its time for that to happen.then the crying begins.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman65 View Post
kohler warns useing synthetic oil during the break in period. i tell all my customers this and have seen the bad results- an engine that burns oil well before its time for that to happen.then the crying begins.
Not to pick a fight here, but I am a kohler certified tech and have never heard any mention of not using synthetic oil in them. I understand what you are saying about break-in time, However Lots of new cars are coming to the showroom florr with Synthetics in them. Vettes, lots of BMW, MB etc. Synthetic oils have evolved lots in the last few years. You have to really follow the industry to keep up as these oils evolve. If you are running a shop I would suggest checking into a publication called lubes-n-greases. It is a free subscription and I have found it very useful lately in keeping up with what is going on.
John Deere 318 w/ snow blade
Arctic Cat 500 w/ snow blade
International 284 tractor
Cadet tractors- 1250, 1000
100 & 124 in full pulling trim!
Old 07-15-2008, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Around View Post
Not to pick a fight here, but I am a kohler certified tech and have never heard any mention of not using synthetic oil in them. I understand what you are saying about break-in time, However Lots of new cars are coming to the showroom florr with Synthetics in them. Vettes, lots of BMW, MB etc. Synthetic oils have evolved lots in the last few years. You have to really follow the industry to keep up as these oils evolve. If you are running a shop I would suggest checking into a publication called lubes-n-greases. It is a free subscription and I have found it very useful lately in keeping up with what is going on.
page 5 of ANY comand twin OWNERS MANUAL tells you not to use it for the first 50 hr's.
when it comes to oil i use the engine makers specs. they made it did the testing so they are who i listen to. not some one trying to sell me oil.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oil Type
Use high quality detergent oil of API (American
Petroleum Institute) service class SG, SH, SJ, or
higher. Select the viscosity based on the air
temperature at the time of operation as shown in the
following table.
Figure 3. Viscosity Grades Table.
NOTE: Using other than service class SG, SH, SJ or
higher oil or extending oil change intervals
longer than recommended can cause engine
damage.
NOTE: Synthetic oils meeting the listed
classifications may be used with oil changes
performed at the recommended intervals.
However to allow piston rings to properly
seat, a new or rebuilt engine should be
operated for at least 50 hours using standard
petroleum based oil before switching to
synthetic oil.
A logo or symbol on oil containers identifies the API
service class and SAE viscosity grade. See Figure 4.
Figure 4. Oil Container Logo.
*Use of synthetic oil having 5W-20 or 5W-30 rating is
acceptable, up to 4°C (40°F).
**Synthetic oils will provide better starting in extreme
Old 07-15-2008, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, I understand the break-in concerns.
John Deere 318 w/ snow blade
Arctic Cat 500 w/ snow blade
International 284 tractor
Cadet tractors- 1250, 1000
100 & 124 in full pulling trim!